Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 82 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], BORIS_ELCIN, Google [Bot], mrfoo, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Two valves one trigger

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Two valves one trigger

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm about to start working on a double-barreled double-valved gun. I want the barrels to fire independently, but I only want one trigger. It'll be hooked up to constant air so I want the gun to fire every time I pull the trigger, with the complicated twist that it has to alternate firing between the two valves.

I'd like to stay away from electronics, but if its a necessity to make this design work I'll use them. Is there some sort of directional control valve I could use? Or a mechanical system?

I'm really drawing a blank on this one, anyone got any ideas?

I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Doable but not practical at all (a pneumatic flip flop circuit) - too many parts and that would be too expensive

there are other options too - a mechanical/manual 5 way valve + a simple mechanical detent/flip flop (well I think it basically functions as a flipflop in a way) - essentially you need a mechanism you can find on retractable pens - you press the button once it extends, you press again and it retracts

Or just use electronics and a bistable 5 way solenoid valve or two seperate 3 way solenoid valves

EDIT
ohh and here is a link to a flip flop valve/cirucuit >>>
http://www.kuhnkeusa.com/pdf/pneumatica ... p_flop.pdf

Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 pm

A two stage trigger would be fairly easy to build but you must discipline yourself to only pull a certain amount for the first shot.

I'll check into some other things... there has to be a more elegant solution. Maybe shuttle valves?

Edit:

Perhaps you could modify or build your own spring biased shuttle valve?

Imagine your trigger connected to port A, your pilot for barrel 1 connected to Y, and your pilot for barrel 2 connected to X. By adding a biasing spring so that A and Y are normally connected and X is closed, and assuming that both X and Y are pressurized: Pulling the trigger will cause barrel 1 (Y) to fire. Then, now that a pressure difference will be present, the biasing spring is overcome and X and A are connected while Y is closed. Pulling the trigger again fires barrel 2 (X).

This makes sense to me in my delirious, sleep-deprived state but I welcome POLAND_SPUD to criticize. And of course the execution will be far more difficult than my description makes it seem.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Maybe shuttle valves?
shuttle valves would be used for two triggers controlling one valve

Seriously been thinking about this and you need some sort of flip flop - even if you suggest something that I didn't think about it probably will be a flip flop anyway

Personaly I think that the mechanical flip flop + 5 way valve is the most elegant solution to this

EDIT
The idea you posted will fire both barrels in a sequence with one press of the trigger

damn typos

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:
Maybe shuttle valves?
shuttle valves would be used for two triggers controlling one valve

Seriously been thinking about this and you need some sort of flip flop - even if you suggest something that I didn't think about it probably will be a flip flop anyway

Personaly I think that the mechanical flip flop + 5 way valve is the most elegant solution to this

EDIT
The idea you posted will fire both barrels in a sequence with one press of the trigger

damn typos

Dammit I knew it seemed too good to be true :oops:

Off to bed I go...

But first one final suggestion: just add in a selector switch and call it a day.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 am

No shame in having two triggers...

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion