Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Refinements wanted

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Refinements wanted

Unread postAuthor: Penhorse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 am

So it started as a casual bet between me and my brother as to who could build the best one. Here's mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CI32h6f ... ata_player

It's pneumatic, this is at about 60 psi.

The valve is rather clever though I say so myself. Looks like a standard ball valve eh? Not so! There is, twixt ball and barrel, the capacity to put a burst disk. One layer of foil holds about 20 psi (very ish) so a triple layer means that when the ball opens, the gun doesn't actually fire until enough air has passed through the ball to burst the disk. Which, I hope, removes the early trickle loss of air.

There is an earlier hilarious video of this system failing terrifyingly but I'm afraid I can't post it because the cameraman dropped the f bomb after soiling himself. Hence the cowering in this clip.

I thought I was looking good! Then brother Paul, who lives on a farm, sent me this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMmCndKo ... ata_player

It's a piece of field artillery.

Now I'm pretty sure I can take him on accuracy. But range and hang time? I'm stuffed here arn't I. Bringing a gun to a cannon fight!

I've tripled the size of my chamber and with a better footpump I might make 70 or 80 psi, is there anything else I can do?

Penhorse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:57 am

use steel and go hybrid!
to actually improve your cannon get a way longer barrel, chamber barrel ratio of 0.8-1 is what you should look for.

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:16 am

I note that you're probably in the UK, so it's best to exercise caution in the public eye as legally a barrelled device capable of more than 12 ft/lbs of muzzle energy is considered a firearm, illegal posession of which carries a hefty penalty.

Burst disc or not, the ball valve is the limiting factor.

You can consider a two stage burst disk: http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... burst_disk

A simpler idea would be something like this:

You would need an air source like a compressor (not a big investment really) to make the above practical though. Since you're just mucking around, the small delay between valve opening and disk bursting should not be significant :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Penhorse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 am

How does one measure muzzle energy? I didn't even think of the legal aspect! Has anyone ever been arrested for making a spudgun?!

Penhorse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Penhorse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 am

Surely fig 2 is basically what i've already made, only the blow gun trigger is replaced by the ball valve!

Penhorse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 am

Penhorse wrote:How does one measure muzzle energy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_energy

I didn't even think of the legal aspect! Has anyone ever been arrested for making a spudgun?!

Not to my knowledge, but if an annoying neighbour reports some nutter shooting stuff in his back garden, you can expect a visit from the plod. The point is, be careful and don't stick you neck out.

Surely fig 2 is basically what i've already made, only the blow gun trigger is replaced by the ball valve!

If I got it correctly, your burst disk is between the ball valve and the barrel. This means that the ball valve is still a restriction. What I am proposing is barrel -> burst disk -> chamber -> ball valve -> air source, which allows for much better flow independently of how quickly you open the ball valve.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Very clever. May I suggest not holding the spud gun against or close to your Johnson if you dont want to hurt it...... :D

Go Bruins!!!!
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Penhorse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:26 pm

I was the man standing behind the other man! My Johnson is going nowhere near that thing!!

Penhorse
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Penhorse wrote:How does one measure muzzle energy?
The easiest way is to measure the muzzle velocity with a round of known mass. The muzzle energy is (1/2)(mass)(velocity)^2. If mass is in grams and velocity is in meters/second then the result is in Joules.

Check the spud wiki for easy ways to get the muzzle velocity.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion