Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Ideas on sealing a magazine tube?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Ideas on sealing a magazine tube?

Unread postAuthor: aussieben » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:52 am

Hey everyone,

I recently finished building my first pneumatic but have ran into a bit of a problem. The pictures below show my magazine setup. The toothpaste cap sits over an aluminium tube (kinda hard to see) which sits inside the resin block. The cap fits pretty snug over the tube so there isn't much of a gap.

The problem is, after a few shots the cap just shot off. The pressure coming back down from the barrel just seems to be a bit too much. I initially secured the cap to the tube with silicon sealant (lasted 5 shots) then tried Tarzans Grip (lasted ~10 shots).

I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to seal it for good! I'd like to be able to keep the functionallity that I currently have, ie. quick access to the mag for loading but I also need a solution that will create a good seal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys

The aluminium tube is only just visible on the inside of the cap.

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:04 am

Ball valve bro, one of the mini sorts

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:45 am

A mini ball valve doesn't have a large enough orifice to fit bbs. A standard 1/4" BV does but that's pretty bulky.

I'd suggest epoxying the threads of an apporpriately sized nipple around the aluminum tubing then sealing it with a threaded pipe cap of equivalent size.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: wyz2285 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:04 am

Use screw on tooth past cap instead of those flip open ones. A airtight blow forward bolt will also solve the problem but it's more complex.

CpTn_lAw wrote::D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dart guy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:13 pm

you could always make a sliding path and then put a slider in it kinda like an airsoft hi capacity mag

dart guy

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion