Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 45 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

First timer with a barrel but no clue what to start with

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
First timer with a barrel but no clue what to start with

Unread postAuthor: bigteddy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 am

Hey guys, I have a stainless steel 2.25"x 3.5' heavy wall pipe that is threaded at one end with 2.5" threads. Its a feed tube from a large centrifuge at work. Im new to building a pneumatic system to utilize this tube. I can try to build one but need to find a quick release valve to use, hopefully a manual valve but am open to anything. Also need some help figuring out the volume of the tank
I need to feed it. I just want to project a spud, not take down a satillite. Lol. I want to do a muzzleload design for simplicity.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

bigteddy
Private
Private

Re: First timer with a barrel but no clue what to start with

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:05 am

Large commercially available valves are expensive. One thing you might want to consider is a simple coupling in which you can sandwich a disk of frangible material between barrel and chamber. As you pressurise the chamber, it will reach a point where the disk will rupture and b00m.

In terms of predicting performance, download GGDT and have a play with the variables to have a good indication of how different chamber sizes will affect performance.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: First timer with a barrel but no clue what to start with

Unread postAuthor: Gleedaniel13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:34 am

Large commercially available valves are expensive. One thing you might want to consider is a simple coupling in which you can sandwich a disk of frangible material between barrel and chamber. As you pressurise the chamber, it will reach a point where the disk will rupture and b00m.

In terms of predicting performance, download GGDT and have a play with the variables to have a good indication of how different chamber sizes will affect performance.

Perfectly explained regarding the barrel creation. I think the explanation is very clear.

Gleedaniel13
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion