Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 51 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Artistic Toy Rocket Launcher w/ Integrated Pump and Base

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Artistic Toy Rocket Launcher w/ Integrated Pump and Base

Unread postAuthor: DanTheRocketMan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Hello SpudFiles community!

My name is Dan and I am the founder of Freedom Toy Co., a start-up specializing in the creation of toy rocket launchers, innovative projectiles, and outdoor games.

Our first product ThrillSHOT! is a patent pending Pneumatic launcher.

With around 20 pumps, the projectile can fire upward of 100 yards. The foam missiles achieve impressive vertical heights, but can easily be launched sideways as well.

We're curious to get the SpudFiles community's feedback on the design and operation of the device. We are open to including your suggestions into future products!

We're also happy to provide greater clarity on how the launcher was built and constructed.

Sincerely,
DanTheRocketMan

Last edited by jrrdw on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for content, sales page link.

DanTheRocketMan
Private
Private

Re: Artistic Toy Rocket Launcher w/ Integrated Pump and Base

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi Dan,

Sorry that we had to remove your facebook page link, we just have to be a bit careful about people advertising on the forum. Would you mind posting or linking to some photos of the toy rocket launcher? I did see some on your fb page before we removed the link but I was hoping you might have some more detailed ones of the contraption. We love information so don't worry about boring us with technical stuff ;)

Is it semi auto or do you have to pump each time before firing the projectile?

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: DanTheRocketMan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:00 pm

The launcher needs to be pumped before each shot. We're taking a different approach and are pursuing an exercise-based and physically active form of powering the device (instead of semi-auto/or pre-filled tanks). We're marketing the device to 12-22 year olds and, in today's society where over 1/3 of children and adolescents are considered obese, we feel the exercise in pumping is beneficial.

Manually pumping provides another benefit: the user can tailor the pressure and power of the shot in order to strike targets downrange. Our launcher games are strategy-based and users must achieve the right combination of pressure power and tilt of the air gun to successfully blast targets.

Attached are a few photos. Would love the community's feedback and will continue to describe the specifics of the device if interested.

DanTheRocketMan
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:23 am

DanTheRocketMan wrote:We're marketing the device to 12-22 year olds and, in today's society where over 1/3 of children and adolescents are considered obese, we feel the exercise in pumping is beneficial.

I promote stirrup pumps on the forum for the same reason :D

Can't see any pictures though :-/

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DanTheRocketMan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:18 am

Attaching a few models of the launcher and projectile. Would love any feedback on the design, and can give further construction details if interested.

This art is patented.

Regards,
Dan

Attachments
Upright Launcher.png
Black Launcher.JPG
close up Projectile.JPG

DanTheRocketMan
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Any chance to see a video of it in action ??

Well we can all see it uses a ball valve and a very basic design, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You could use a piston valve instead, which will give better power, but also increase complexity.

What's the price for it ?? Does it come fully assembled or as a kit ??
Somehow I doubt it will be a commercial success. Just to be clear I am not criticizing your design or idea, but kids these days are very lazy.

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:Well we can all see it uses a ball valve and a very basic design, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You could use a piston valve instead, which will give better power, but also increase complexity.

Same here - is it automated in any way? The problem is that if it is manually activated, every kid will have a different result, so they cannot correlate number of pumps to performance.

Did you include a pressure limiting device to stop idiots trying to over-pump? Or is the stirrup pump of such large diameter that this is physically impossible?

What's the price for it ?? Does it come fully assembled or as a kit ??
Somehow I doubt it will be a commercial success. Just to be clear I am not criticizing your design or idea, but kids these days are very lazy.

They aren't all lazy - look at the kids on this forum! - but it's true that most kids seem to prefer the latest console game to this sort of thing.

Is there a way to alter the trajectory or does it just shoot straight up?

Are you legally covered in case an idiot decides to shoot himself in the face?

Remember frog boy.

Whatever you do, please don't make a cringeworthy ad like this one:

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: DanTheRocketMan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Great thoughts guys, much appreciated.

As far as kids being lazy, that is the key market opportunity are product is trying to solve.
Yes, video games and iPhone titles are more popular than ever, but that means their waist-lines are bigger than ever too.

One of the ways we expect to excite customers is to bring popular digital titles to life. The launcher is to be used as the key tool to demolish foam block towers downrange - our version of Angry Birds, to help you visualize I will attach a photo. We want to make the user part of the gaming experience, instead of simply pressing buttons on a cold screen. There is strategy involved: users must achieve the right combination of pressure power and Tilt the launcher at an appropriate angle in order to strike targets downfield. To clarify, the launcher is optimized for vertical launching, but you can pick it up and side launch with ease too. Parks, open fields, or a player's backyard will be the arena.

We believe we can entice kids to pump due to the cause and effect nature of the toy: harder work = farther launch = better
Play. Remember, we plan to market this invention to older kids, adolescents, and even young adults. Therefore, concerns about pumping variation based on user should not be an issue.

Yes, a bleeder valve is connected to the tank to prevent over-pressurization.

Legally, we've done a lot of research and the device does fall under the category of Air Guns. They are not federally regulated, but are monitored on the city ordinance level. Since our launcher runs solely on compressed air and not explosive fuel, the product is allowed in areas that also condone air-soft toy guns.

Soft foam missiles make the ammunition safer, and cautionary statements will be placed on packaging urging users not to misuse the device, fire anything but the custom projectiles, or aim at another's face/eyes.

We have no intention to emulate that ad!! Ha.

Here for more info if intersted, would love all the feedback the community has.

Thank you,
Dan

DanTheRocketMan
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Is there a way to pressurize your device so that I am not staring down the barrel when doing so?

Twelve-year-old me is thinking it would be hilarious to yank the valve open while billy is still pumping it, so you could have a problem there.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Fnord wrote:Twelve-year-old me is thinking it would be hilarious to yank the valve open while billy is still pumping it, so you could have a problem there.

31 year old me would shoot Billy in the nuts :roll:

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: wyz2285 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Cool, if this thing came out before I knew anything about homemade airguns I would have bought it.
This art is patented.

Seriously? Then I don't know how many people have build similar stuff themselves :lol: too easy to get a patent in the US (now I really think I should put a patent on my stuff :roll: )
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Fnord wrote:Twelve-year-old me is thinking it would be hilarious to yank the valve open while billy is still pumping it, so you could have a problem there.

31 year old me would shoot Billy in the nuts :roll:

LOOOOL :D :D

CpTn_lAw wrote::D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
wyz2285
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:22 am

wyz2285 wrote:Seriously? Then I don't know how many people have build similar stuff themselves :lol: too easy to get a patent in the US (now I really think I should put a patent on my stuff :roll: )

Many people have made ball-valve pneumatics, I presume what he patented was the design and configuration. Glock for example has a trademark on the external appearance of its pistol:

The mark consists of the three dimensional overall configuration of a semi-automatic pistol having a blocky an squared-off shape as viewed from the side, the front, and the rear. The vertical lines at the rear of the slide indicate ridges. The stippling is a feature of the mark and not intended to indicate color. The dotted lines indicate features that are not claimed as a part of the mark. Neither the shape of the notch on the rear sight nor the circular shape of the interior of the barrel are claimed as a part of the mark. The shape of the trigger guard and the shape, location, and a position of the trigger safety tab are claimed as a part of the mark, but no claim is made to the shape of the trigger separate from the trigger safety tab.

'murica! :D

One of the ways we expect to excite customers is to bring popular digital titles to life. The launcher is to be used as the key tool to demolish foam block towers downrange - our version of Angry Birds, to help you visualize I will attach a photo.

Great idea! You can surely use Angry Bird plush toys as projectiles...

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DanTheRocketMan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:13 pm

You can easily pump the device without having to look down the barrel.

If oriented upright, for vertical launching, one can stand to the side of the barrel breach, lean and pump. One can also kneel beside the launcher and pump with their head out of the way. Another option is to pump the device held sideways, as with a super-soaker. The Key is just to be careful that no body parts or objects are directly in front of the barrel breach when pumping of firing.

Thanks for the feedback, would love any more you guys have.

Adults out there with kids, would you advocate a toy with exercise benefits that also presents exciting gameplay?
Do you feel video games are making young people lazy or isolated indoors?

Would love to get your thoughts.

-DanTheRocketMan

DanTheRocketMan
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Do you feel video games are making young people lazy or isolated indoors?

I don't have kids but any outdoor activity for kids these days is a good idea. It helps spark the lack of imagination that I see in kids now days...

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion