Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

hammer valve question

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
hammer valve question

Unread postAuthor: vng21092 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:18 am

Is it necessary to have a spring to reset the stem? Are there any downsides to not having the spring? My hammer valve has a pretty good seal, even without a spring holding the stem against the seal, I can fill it no problem. When I hit the stem the air pressure inside automatically resets the stem shutting off the valve, should I still use a spring?

vng21092
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: hammer valve question

Unread postAuthor: cammyd32 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:34 am

The spring is mostly for reseating the valve at low or no pressure. for example when you are trying to charge the reservoir for the first time it has a tendency to not shut, as you don't have enough pressure to seat the valve fully, so all you're essentially doing is blowing air through the launcher.
Also, if you happen to hit hammer valves a bit too hard they have a habit of getting 'stuck' open, and it just dumps your chamber, potentially being quite dangerous.

From a 'functional' point of view they serve very little purpose, in that the launcher would function without one, but from a practical view in the real world, they are quite important.
So it's your call really, a small spring isn't really that hard to put in and can save a lot of hassle.

cammyd32
Captain
Captain

Re: hammer valve question

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:21 pm

vng21092 wrote:Is it necessary to have a spring to reset the stem?

Not absolutely necessary, but of particular value with lower pressure(say 1500 psi or less) pcp or co2. Every commercially built valve I've seen has a spring...the .32 pcp pistol I built runs without one, as does a home built Condor I know of.

Are there any downsides to not having the spring?

Ability to tune the valve opening and dwell will suffer with lower pressure pcp or co2. The spring is a significant part of the closing force with these.

My hammer valve has a pretty good seal, even without a spring holding the stem against the seal, I can fill it no problem. When I hit the stem the air pressure inside automatically resets the stem shutting off the valve, should I still use a spring?

Maybe...

If you don't have a chrony to accurately measure results....get to a point where you're happy....and BE happy. :wink:

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion