Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 51 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

QEV outlet port size??

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
QEV outlet port size??

Unread postAuthor: Ianbuckwell » Sun May 18, 2014 1:12 pm

I purchased a black rectangular supposed 3/4" qev from china. Firstly the hole that the seal seals against is maybe 1/3" and the gold colored threaded in insert is 1/2" threaded internally. Are they all like this and can anything be done to enlarge the hole in the end of the gold insert or would it not seal if enlarged? Is this a problem or is the size big enough?

Do the rounded shape QEVs have larger internal holes?
Thanks

Ianbuckwell
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: QEV outlet port size??

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon May 19, 2014 5:09 am

The rounder QEVs usually have flows more congruent with the threading but for the purposes of what you're doing, the rectangular one should be just fine.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ianbuckwell » Mon May 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Could t help myself so I ordered a true 3/4" Parker Hannifin, the plan was to make two eventually anyway as I ordered a 12mm (just under your 1/2") the other day as I was diappounted with the 12pounds. Power from an 8mm.

Also decided to have a go at home made projectiles a 12mm mols is available, but thought why not diy one from mdf or wood and if that doesn't work metal, they will list have to be drill end shaped as I don't have a mill to make a mold or patience to use a file. All things considered whether they are rounded or more point is going to make no difference to me.

If i use wood mold, anyone got pointers, or does the wood need covering with any type of release agent or will they just pop out if the mold is nice and smooth?

Thanks

Ianbuckwell
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Boomer58cal » Mon May 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Are you going to use lead? 700-750 deg. lead will burn a wood mold. Steel molds need to be smoked. YouTube is a good source for how to videos on casting. You can buy Lee molds for under $30.

Ha ha we joined Spudfiles the same day. 20 min. apart. :D

Boomer58cal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Ianbuckwell » Wed May 21, 2014 9:06 am

Was thinking of using lead and maybe try wood, maybe put it in freezer before hand?

If that doesn't work I have some aluminum I can use, the projectiles may not be the best design aerodynamically, but they will at least be a good fit in the barrell,.

Currently have ambitions for two setups, plans wouldn't be the correct term :) as nothing has been designed really. I have an 8.5mm and a 12mm (just under your half inch). Pain in the behind d getting slingshot ammo (more often than not imperial) and barrel bores to match. My country (UK) seem to use a combination of both imperial and metric systems!!!!!

Ianbuckwell
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion