Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 38 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

First Post and Some Questions

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
First Post and Some Questions

Unread postAuthor: KrabbyKakes » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Hey y'all! I'm going to attempt to make a QEV Airsoft rifle. The small, light projectile means that small volume, high pressure is the way to go right? That means a shock pump. The only problem is that I have no idea what fill valve a shock pump uses. Is it just a normal Schrader valve or some sort of quick disconnect?

Also, what type of pilot valve should I use? The easy way would be a small brass ball valve, but I wanted to use a cheaper blowgun. I just came off of a botched sprinkler valve where the blowgun leaked and that was at around 100 PSI. It was just a cheap Cobalt one you can go buy at Lowes for $10. The only "high pressure"
guns I can find are massive and expensive.

I really have no idea what pressure I'm going to use it at. Maybe 215 PSI (it will be all metal), so it will be a medium pressure gun if that helps.

Thanks! -Kris

KrabbyKakes
Private
Private

Re: First Post and Some Questions

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:18 am

Just about all that info can be found at the Spud Wiki. The button is at the top of the page.

Welcome to Spudfiles. :mrgreen:

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: KrabbyKakes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 am

Haha wow. I didn't even realize there was a wiki on here...

KrabbyKakes
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: noname » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:24 am

The only shock pump I've owned would just connect to a schrader valve. They're generally threaded to screw onto the schrader so that the pump won't pop off when subjected to the relativity high pressure.
As for blowguns, they seem to be hit or miss. I've had better luck with Tru Flate blowguns like these as opposed to the classic shiny blowgun with the red handle cover that comes in a package with a million other compressor fittings. The Tru Flate ones are generally around $10 but feel more solid and better constructed.

Good luck and great first post!

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: KrabbyKakes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 am

I was thinking of making a bullpup by hooking up a ball valvrvpilotvto a price of hose and bringing it up to the front. If that hose was about 20 inches, would there be a significant difference of the QEV opening because of the greater amount of air in the pilot. I'm probably being parwboid , but my sprinkler valve took forever to open with a hose attached.

Also, would someone mind to do a GGDT for me? A 2.5 inch chamber filled to 150 PSI shooting a 6mm BB that weighs .20 grams. I'm not able to download it rrightnow and would like to see the performance I can get with my current set up.

KrabbyKakes
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:16 am

KrabbyKakes wrote:Also, would someone mind to do a GGDT for me? A 2.5 inch chamber filled to 150 PSI shooting a 6mm BB that weighs .20 grams. I'm not able to download it rrightnow and would like to see the performance I can get with my current set up.

What's the barrel length, and is that 2.5 cubic inches?

In order to avoid piloting issues, hook up a blowgun directly to your QEV, and trigger it with a rod - bullpup size, maximum perfomance.

Also, for airsoft, even using a blowgun directly as a firing valve will give pretty good performance:

That was a 3 foot barrel attached to a blowgun at 115 psi shooting a lead pellet through a soup tin.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion