Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Indirect solenoid valve speed

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Indirect solenoid valve speed

Unread postAuthor: Ianbuckwell » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:03 am

I have been advised by this forum that indirect solenoid valves are best used if its going to be the main valve, due to their far greater flow.

I am interested in a Burkert 5404 but am concerned that the data sheet shows an opening time of 20ms-200ms iirc, can anyone tell me will an increased pressure differential between the in and out of the valves help it open faster or slow the opening down?

Not sure if anyone has seen the Bill Gilmour air cannon videos on Youtube, but he uses a solenoid valve, does anyone know if it is direct/indirect and what model it may be?

Thanks.

Ianbuckwell
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Indirect solenoid valve speed

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:57 pm

The valve should be faster at higher pressure. It would be slower and even not fully open at lower pressure. The very wide range in time is due to the material it handles. It works with air, water, or hydraulic fluid. Liquids will have slower speeds.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Re: Indirect solenoid valve speed

Unread postAuthor: Ianbuckwell » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks for the help, I guess indirect solenoid valves are pretty similar to a QEV in operation with its diaphram and the solenoid acts as the mechanism to pilot the valve?

I hadn't considered that they also operate with water and other liquids so using air would probably be close to the quickest time,

Ianbuckwell
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion