Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fiberglass barrels and pressure vessels.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Fiberglass barrels and pressure vessels.

Unread postAuthor: Ichabod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone here has used either filament wound fiberglass tubes or fabric wrapped tubes for barrels or pressure vessels? I am wondering because I do high powered rocketry which involves lots of composites, the main one being fiberglass so I though I could put scraps to good use. Any tips or ideas for this? Also what cad program do you guys use? I use AutoDesk inventor 2015 student edition.

Ichabod
Private
Private

Re: Fiberglass barrels and pressure vessels.

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:44 am

That's going to be trial and error no matter what. Too many variables from one batch to the next to be / give a accurate answer. Far as modeling programs go use what ever but there is a library of parts done in Solidworks by Dewey_1.

Welcome to Spudfiles!

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: bravootome » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Ichabod wrote:Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone here has used either filament wound fiberglass tubes or fabric wrapped tubes for barrels or pressure vessels?

I had used once a fiber glass barrel( the fiber was linear ).....it cracked pretty fast...if that's your question.............

Last edited by jrrdw on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tag.
come undone
bravootome
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Ichabod » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:01 pm

bravootome wrote:
Ichabod wrote:Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone here has used either filament wound fiberglass tubes or fabric wrapped tubes for barrels or pressure vessels?

I had used once a fiber glass barrel( the fiber was linear ).....it cracked pretty fast...if that's your question.............
Intersting, how exactly did it crack?

Ichabod
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: matti » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:24 am

I think there are two main types of fiberglass pipes, one is the cheap one that is used in camping tent pipes and sport equipment like floorball sticks and others.. those are propably done mostly the fibers being linear, for good bending strength.
Then there is the industrial type fiberglass pipes that are meant to be used for piping that has pressure. They are mostly cross laminated for good pressure strength.. and I think this is the only suitable one for pressure use.

matti
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: bravootome » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 am

It just cracked even i reinforced it with an outlet barrel.....any how that was the most accurate barrel i ever had, even so cracked , it was shooting in the same hole steel bb by 20 yards. The fiber barrel was a pipe used in aeromodelism .

come undone
bravootome
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: mako » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Odd. I would have thought reinforced fiberglass would make a really good barrel. That stuff is remarkably strong, especially as regards bursting. If your barrel cracked, bravootome, my guess is the fiberglass was laminated length-wise, rather than across, like matti suggested.

Ichabod, if you don't mind my asking, is having the stuff lying around the only reason you want to use it? I think you could pull it off and have a good, lightweight, strong barrel, but it might be way too much effort. If you have pipes that are already made, that would work, but if you were going to try to make your own, getting them perfectly smooth would be tough.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”

Mark Twain
mako
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:22 am

Ichabod wrote:. Any tips or ideas for this?

They have this stuff called "seamless tubing"...most often made of "metal"....my favorites are 1026, 4130 or 2024...it tends to have known mechanical properties, and one can actually calculate where it will fail...I like it! :wink: :)

Also what cad program do you guys use? I use AutoDesk inventor 2015 student edition.

I use napkin cad, CAD (cardboard aided design) and on occasion, Autocad. I don't do any 3d stuff, just construction drawings to print out and take out to the shop.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion