Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Squash ball help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Squash ball help

Unread postAuthor: rg123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:34 am

Hi all, I am doing a project at uni which requires construction of a 'gun' to shoot a squash ball projectile up into the air with the goal of it coming down and landing in a target area...this is on a small scale so gun to target length is only 2-6metres.The gun has to be fixed to a stand and fired remotely (solenoid or something)..and we have a construction budjet of 20 pounds...Any idea of the pressures we would need and a cheap option for a trigger.
I was thinking construct a pressure vessel out of pvc pipe(capped at both ends) ,oneway valve to bikepump, then pvc barrel (pointing upwards) mounted on a stand..main area of concern is which kind of solenoid to use...must be cheap.
any ideas appreciated, just to note,the whole assembly needs to fit inside a 40cm^3 envelope .
is in effect a mini mortar gun.

Last edited by jrrdw on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaning thread.

rg123
Private
Private

Re: Squash ball help

Unread postAuthor: Kensingt0n » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Does it have to be electronic for remote firing? You could keep it plain and simple if the budget wont allow for a solenoid and make an actuated ball valve that triggers via a length of rope or wire.

Kensingt0n
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: rg123 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:12 pm

hi there ,yes it has to be electronic . i can get a 1/2" solenoid for a few quid ,a pressure gauge for a few quid ,and use the rest on materials..

rg123
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Kensingt0n » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:34 am

No worries then, sounds like you have it covered for that. Go the solenoid for sure then id say

Kensingt0n
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: rg123 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:00 am

basic design at the moment is pressure vessel constructed from pvc pipe (capped each end, bike valve in) then connected to solenoid which is mounted directly at base off barrel..
squash ball is 40mm dia i believe ,and we have a max pressure allowance of 5.5bar..
the solenoid i have got my hands on is only 1/2" ...do you guys think i can get sufficent force on the ball with that pressure limit and the size of solenoid?

rg123
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion