Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], BORIS_ELCIN, Google [Bot], mrfoo, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Old Mapp / Camping Propane tanks as pressure 'charge'

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Old Mapp / Camping Propane tanks as pressure 'charge'

Unread postAuthor: Bipedal » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:21 am

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around for a while, and I'm going to build a pneumatic gun at some point in the future. What I want to know is, I have an empty mapp gas can, and an almost empty camping propane (you know the short green ones) can, as well as the torch adapter for the mapp can. (I assume it works on the propane. Haven't tried yet.) My question is: I've seen a few things like these: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=277& And I've wondered something . . . Could I use things like this for little charges for my gun? Assume that I have a standard schrader valve in my pressure chamber. Is there a way for me to fill that mapp/propane can with air? (And refill it over and over obviously) Those cans are rated to pretty high pressures, and they have emergency blowout valves in them if i were to overfill. That way, I'd just pressurize the canister, and attach it to this rig. (Obviously I'd make that teeny copper chamber at the bottom bigger.) Then I could just press it down on my schrader, and have a full tank again? (I'm thinking more about this, and those cans are pretty tiny. But surely I can calculate out the volume and pressure of a pressurized chamber on the actual cannon, and convert that to a higher psi but smaller volume for these things?) Anyone?
  • 0

User avatar
Bipedal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:09 am
Location: GA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:27 am

Thoes canisters are rated to ONLY 90 PSI and have No blow out disk.
At 90 PSI you could get one ~50 PSi fill on a 4" x 12" chamber.
You should look into getting a paintball CO2 tank and regulator.
What you were looking at there was a propane meter for a combustion cannon not for a pnumatic.
  • 0

User avatar
SpudStuff
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:55 pm
Location: Cupertino, California
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: Extrusion » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:10 am

SpudStuff wrote:Thoes canisters are rated to ONLY 90 PSI and have No blow out disk.
At 90 PSI you could get one ~50 PSi fill on a 4" x 12" chamber.
You should look into getting a paintball CO2 tank and regulator.
What you were looking at there was a propane meter for a combustion cannon not for a pnumatic.


No im sure they are rated to more then 90psi beings they hold around that much all the time (depending on temp.) and the green coleman propane bottles do have a blow out safety valve read up before you tell him that and if you mean use the propane bottle as a chamber for your pneumatic i say go for it.

EDIT: never mind i get you, you mean use the propane tank to refill your pneumatic's chamber right?, if so then you can try but you could just buy a air tank that does the same thing at walmart for 12$
  • 0

"No living person is a virgin because life screws us all." - Extrusion
User avatar
Extrusion
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:33 am

The pressure in the propane canisters is 90 psi. I would reccomend you do not exceed it. Actually, the propane canisters have a small valve for factory filling on the side. It is not a blow out disk.
  • 0

User avatar
SpudStuff
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:55 pm
Location: Cupertino, California
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: Bipedal » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:33 pm

Extrusion wrote:
SpudStuff wrote:Thoes canisters are rated to ONLY 90 PSI and have No blow out disk.
At 90 PSI you could get one ~50 PSi fill on a 4" x 12" chamber.
You should look into getting a paintball CO2 tank and regulator.
What you were looking at there was a propane meter for a combustion cannon not for a pnumatic.


No im sure they are rated to more then 90psi beings they hold around that much all the time (depending on temp.) and the green coleman propane bottles do have a blow out safety valve read up before you tell him that and if you mean use the propane bottle as a chamber for your pneumatic i say go for it.

EDIT: never mind i get you, you mean use the propane tank to refill your pneumatic's chamber right?, if so then you can try but you could just buy a air tank that does the same thing at walmart for 12$
Yeah dude whatever works. Also to the first reply: I know that was for a combustion gun. I'm just wondering if I can use it to refill my pneumatic. How much do these air cans from walmart hold?
  • 0

lol internet.
User avatar
Bipedal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:09 am
Location: GA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Extrusion » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Not sure how much they hold lemme check on there site and see if it says.

EDIT: The idiots dont got it on there site but its in the automotive isle i belive it is 12 gallons or more.
  • 0

"No living person is a virgin because life screws us all." - Extrusion
User avatar
Extrusion
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Bipedal » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:31 pm

crapshit. 12 gallons is a lot. The point was to have it portable, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Oh well.
  • 0

lol internet.
User avatar
Bipedal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:09 am
Location: GA
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:39 pm

12 gallons isn't that big you can carry it pretty much anywhere you want besides a nuclear reactor. The tank is designed to be portible. It will give you plenty of shots.
  • 0

User avatar
SpudStuff
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:55 pm
Location: Cupertino, California
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:46 pm

Just FYI, according to my two pressure gauges, warm (80-85 F) Benzomatic propane canisters are 115-120 psi. I bet they can safely hold more, but I wouldn't push that.

It could be cool to have portable refills for a small pneumatic, but for a bigger gun, pretty useless. Unless you had multiple tanks laying around.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.
  • 0

User avatar
Pete Zaria
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Bipedal » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:20 pm

I was thinking just one or two portable refills. Mine is basically going to be an airsoft LAW, so It'd be nice to recharge in the field. I figured if I could carry around at least one or two quick fills, I could charge it before I started playing and then get one more shot out of it before i had to go back to base.
  • 0

lol internet.
User avatar
Bipedal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:09 am
Location: GA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Extrusion » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Walmart also has some smaller 7gallon ones that you could put inside of a backpack with the hose sticking out then just push the hose onto the schrader valve untill its at the desired pressure and fire :D
  • 0

"No living person is a virgin because life screws us all." - Extrusion
User avatar
Extrusion
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Bipedal » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Extrusion wrote:Walmart also has some smaller 7gallon ones that you could put inside of a backpack with the hose sticking out then just push the hose onto the schrader valve untill its at the desired pressure and fire :D
This is a good idea. What are these 12 and 7 gallon tanks made to be used for? I highly doubt that the manufacturers had 'pneumatic cannon refill' on their minds when they sold these to walmart.
  • 0

lol internet.
User avatar
Bipedal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:09 am
Location: GA
Reputation: 0

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], BORIS_ELCIN, Google [Bot], mrfoo, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'