Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Do I have enough PVC?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Do I have enough PVC?

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:39 pm

Yet another question, courtesy of your forum noob.
I have some leftover PVC pipe that I'm hoping to be able to use in the future for my soon-to-be-built pnuematic. I have 32 inches of sch. 40 1 1/2 inch pipe and 42 inches of sch. 40 3 inch pipe. All of it is pressure rated. Is this enough to make a good sprinkler valve pneumatic?

Also, since I'm one of those "visual" people, could you post a diagram of what I could build along with a list of the neccesarry (sp?) fittings?

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: killagorrila99 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:49 pm

You should have enough. Just chop the 3 inch down a bit.

Might look like this?

Attachments
stuff_009.jpg
Last edited by killagorrila99 on Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killagorrila99
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:51 pm

Can't see the picture. All I see is

[/img]

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: killagorrila99 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:09 am

Now???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

killagorrila99
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:13 am

Yes, I can see it now.

Another "Forum Noob" question: Where do I get that valve that's hanging off the sprikler valve? Could you explain it's function?
Sorry, I've been doing combys all my life and this will be my first pneumatic.

Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am

Thats a blowgun and you do that to mod a sprinkler valve to increase its flow. There is a bcvids tutorial on it. I'm also planning on making a pnuematic out of left over pvc.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:12 am

The blow gun can be found anyplace that sells air tools, it will likely be with the fittings.
The blowgun allows the air above the diaphram to be vented faster than the solenoid could, so the diaphram can be forced up easier, and the valve opens faster.

How much are willing to spend on valves, and what kind of air source would you have to fill it from? I think that would help dictate what kind of design you would want. And are you trying to get as good of performance as possible, or does it not matter so much?
If you have the money, I would go with 2-1inch valves. I really don't like the idea of having your barrel be a larger diameter than your valve has. It would just hurt performance. Of course, a lot of stores sell 5ft pieces of smaller diameter PVC pipes. 3/4 CPVC would be awesome since you could shoot paintballs.
Also, a larger chamber will make the gun more powerful (to a certain point). But, it would only make sense if you have an air compressor to fill it from, instead of a bike pump.

My pneumatic is along these lines. I have an 11 or 12 inch long 3in diameter chamber, with a 1inch modded sprinkler valve, and a few different barrels. I have a 1inch barrel, a 3/4 CPVC, and a 1/2inch. The 3/4 CPVC gets used for paintballs, and it is dang powerful. The 1/2 inch gets used for bolts and other stuff. I shot a AA through a coffee can one time. The 1inch doesn't get used much, since it isn't as powerful.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:11 pm

So you squeeze the blowgun trigger to realease the air?

Also, would I have to look around for a sprinkler valve that can fir a 1 1/2 pipe, or should I get a new barrel? As for money, I start my job in the spring so I should have enough to buy the good stuff, because I want good preformance. I have this air compressor that plugs into a car's cigarette lighter outlet, has a pressure guage and can nicely fit on a Schrader valve. Speaking of which, do I need to be a professional to tap my pipe? I checked spud wiki and it seemed pretty easy, but just to make sure...

Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:32 pm

I just checked on Home Depot.com and they have 1.5" sprinkler valves so you shouldn't have to look too much but the 1" are more common.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Tapping pipe is very easy. Get it streight. One turn in 1/2 turn back and repeat.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:12 pm

Okay, is that fluid stuff needed?

Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Infernal2 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:52 pm

Fluid stuff? Cutting fluid? Not necessarily but it does help. I just use a mixture of naptha and olive oil. And no, you don't need a professional to tap your pipe. Just be patient and buy a good tap. Never buy cheap taps or dies. They suck.

The tire refiller works great with myguns but its incredibly slow going. I have had friends that have had problems with them, saying their valve won't seat at such low pressures.

Infernal2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Oh the tire refiller doesn't work too well? Mine goes pretty high, filling my bike tires to about 70 psi doesn't take too long. Anywho, back to the blowgun question, do you pull the little trigger-type thing to release the air?

EDIT: WOOT I found about 5 feet of 3'' sch. 40 pressure rated pipe!

Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion