Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

fire extinguisher chamber on a pneumatic

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
fire extinguisher chamber on a pneumatic

Unread postAuthor: Petrie » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:47 pm

I am building my first pneumatic and i want to uses a fire extinguisher (300 PSI) as the chamber but i have a few questions. Any insight would be much appricated.

-Would a FE chamber be wise for a first timer?

- Are the FE threads compatable with pvc?... Brass?(If i use brass can the pvc barrell and sprinkler valve be attached?)

- How would i go about attaching a filling valve to the Extinguisher?(I cant really use the push in schrader valves)

I am also very open to using pvc for the chamber i just have an empty FE on my hands

Thanks

~petrie

Petrie
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: sergeantspud2 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:24 pm

- Yeah why not use a fire extingusher for a chamber they look sweet on cannons, But as a first cannon Im not so sure. If you know the basics of a pnumatic then yeah, but with these questions I think you need to start with a less complex cannon just the sharpen you skills.

- As for the threads on the tank Im not so sure on. But being able to mix brass and pvc is okay because they are all NPT threads.

-After the tank and before the valve put a T and a quick connect (for air compressor) or just a schrader valve.

:D Always rely on Murphy's Laws :D
4.If you have enough grease & a big enough hammer, you can put anything... anywhere
3.If all else fails, hit it with a big hammer
2.Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
1.If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway
sergeantspud2
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:44 pm

The threads on there are either NPT, NHT, or BST.
That is american threads, hose threads, or british standard thread.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:20 am

Mine used hose type threads, but mine was a dry chimcal one at low pressure.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:52 am

The threads on a CO2 Fire-Ex are a nightmare in the UK - or so Ragnarok tells me. They're close to, but don't quite match 1/2" BSP.

So, his latest idea is tapping the inside of the brass bit with a 1/4" BSP thread, which sounds like it could work.

If it's a tank that has a gauge, or safety valve, unbolt that, and attach your fill valve to that hole somehow.
The UK CO2 ones have what is almost a 1/4" BSP thread for the safety valve - if it leaks a little, use a blowtorch and some solder - use that to plug the gaps, a la an endfeed fitting.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Petrie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:08 pm

is there anything special i need to do when screwing in a 1/8'' schrader into the thin allumanum wall of the FE.

(my FE is a dry chemical one)

Petrie
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: sergeantspud2 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:12 pm

If you wanted to screw it directly into the FE you might need to tap the hole. Or if you can find a drill bit close enough to the size of the schrader threads just have it make its own threads.

:D Always rely on Murphy's Laws :D
4.If you have enough grease & a big enough hammer, you can put anything... anywhere
3.If all else fails, hit it with a big hammer
2.Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
1.If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway
sergeantspud2
Captain
Captain

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 pm

The walls on the tank aren't thick enough to tap into. You need to use a Tee fitting after the chamber.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:33 pm

joannaardway wrote:The threads on a CO2 Fire-Ex are a nightmare in the UK - or so Ragnarok tells me. They're close to, but don't quite match 1/2" BSP.

So, his latest idea is tapping the inside of the brass bit with a 1/4" BSP thread, which sounds like it could work.

If it's a tank that has a gauge, or safety valve, unbolt that, and attach your fill valve to that hole somehow.
The UK CO2 ones have what is almost a 1/4" BSP thread for the safety valve - if it leaks a little, use a blowtorch and some solder - use that to plug the gaps, a la an endfeed fitting.

Ragnarok is correct the threads are between 1/2" and 3/4",what i did is i got this white plastic thing from the inside of the FE,it was part of a tube that sucks up the powder and i cut the threads of the trigger and......somehow it worked and the white thing had like 3/8"threads to 1/4" threads ill post pictures soon. as for the plug in schrader i managed to use one,i made a hole got some pliers and pushed them into the hole to make it slightly bigger then i put a HUGE drill bit on the bottom on the schrader and put it through the neck hole and banged the drill bit on the table and it pushed the schrader through.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Infernal2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:09 pm

Well, I used a dremel to sand down the threads on the output connection. After sanding I was able to lightly hammer in a 1/2 piece of copper pipe which I then soldered in place. On the other end of the copper pipe I attached a 1/2 NPT copper female adapter and voila! Simple chamber.

Infernal2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion