Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

GGDT and check valve help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
GGDT and check valve help

Unread postAuthor: bugsingelyn » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi,
I am new to this forum, and let me say I like it so far, but I have a few questions about GGDT:
1. What is inner and outer diameter for the Reservoir Data secion? Is that for coaxles maybe?
2. When it says "seat diameter" in the Valve section, which seat is it? Maybe...on the piston?

Also, how do people put check valves in their pistons? Do they make their own? How? Could I put it on the outside of the gun, from the pilot area to the chamber, with some hose and a check valve bought from mcmaster to fill the rest of the tank? Would air just go by the o-rings that I plan on puting on from behind the piston? I think I will mostly be using a bike pump, maybe emergency compressors occasionally.

Whoa, sorry for all of the questions, but I guess it is better to ask them all in one topic. Thanks so much for the help.

bugsingelyn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:57 pm

1) Yes, it's for coaxials... didn't you read the documentation?

2) I believe it's the diameter of the barrel's hole if you've got a standard barrel-sealing piston valve.

3A) Generaly, they make their own checkvalves; construction is simply a rubber flap over a hole in the piston.
3b) Yes, you could plumb a check valve externaly
3c) Hu? What do you mean by "o-rings thath I plan on puting on from behind the piston"? Could you explain how they are set up?

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: bugsingelyn » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:05 pm

Oh, im sorry, when I said "Would air just go by the o-rings that I plan on puting on from behind the piston?" I meant it like "Would air leak by the o-rings on the piston if I fill the chamber from behind the piston?"

bugsingelyn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:16 pm

If the o-rings are done correctly air won't leak past them, that is why a check valve or a small equilization hole is needed.

"Nine out of ten Americans agree that out of ten Americans one will always disagree with the other nine."
-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

Borrow money from a pessimist, he won't expect it back.

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: bugsingelyn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:34 pm

So, what do you suggest for the size of the equalization hole? I made my piston out of two 1-1/4" end caps, so would I just drill one hole in the back and a few on the sides?

Attachments
piston.GIF
Diagram of where I want to put the equalization holes.
piston.GIF (3.75 KiB) Viewed 429 times

bugsingelyn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:37 am

First, I assume this is a barrel-sealing piston, not a chamber-sealing?

If so, you want to drill the equalization hole near the outside edge of the piston - where the piston surface is exposed to the chamber, not the barrel. Otherwise, air would leak out the barrel.

I don't think you need a very big hole. Maybe 1/16th" or so? Start with that and drill it out larger if need be... External equalization is another option, too.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion