Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

O-ring lube

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
O-ring lube

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:21 pm

Okay people. I'm wondering what you guys use to lubricate o-rings, where to get it, and how much it costs. I'd be especially interested in what Gort uses, but I understand he doesn't want everyone knowing. If you read this Gort you could just PM me 'cause I'm not looking to replicate or mass produce your valves. I'm just looking to find something that works better than your common household vegetable shortening and doesn't destroy or weaken the o-ring's rubber.

"Nine out of ten Americans agree that out of ten Americans one will always disagree with the other nine."
-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

Borrow money from a pessimist, he won't expect it back.

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: thrasmussen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:36 pm

What ever paintballs have inside works good. I've had a gun that sat and still is very loose!

thrasmussen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 pm

Swimming pool places sell o-ring lube for o-rings in pool pump skimmer lids and such. The stuff i worked with was blue in color, water based, and slicker then a babies butt! I think it was called Water Lube , it's been since 2000 when i did work for Van Dorn Pools. Me, i just squirt some wd-40 up in my pilot chamber when the spring stops returning the piston to the barrel. I find out when it needs it when i fill for the next shot, i hear the piston slam against the barrel. Then it's time to relube, just a little bit works fine. I figure it won't hurt it because it's constently getting blowed out.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:50 pm

I think the paintball stuff might be the ticket, but I'm wondering where to get it and how much it costs.

"Nine out of ten Americans agree that out of ten Americans one will always disagree with the other nine."
-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Bluetooth » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:03 pm

He means paintball paint. It's actually fish oil and dye, thats why it smells bad.

Bluetooth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:38 pm

Well never mind that then, anybody got anymore ideas?

-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: ProfessorAmadeus » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:44 pm

Gold cup paintball oil. Its like 3 dollars for an ounce of it. It last a long time.

Insomniac wrote:Hey why am I a goose???? Why not somthing a little more awe inspireing, like an eagle or something? LOL

SOO CUTE!! OMG!! I COULD JUST LICK YOU!!
ProfessorAmadeus
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Personaly, I use petroleum jelly - I believe it's ok with nitrile 'rings, though I generaly use viton O-rings

As a side note, I don't know if viton is 10x better than nitrile for our uses... but, hey, even at 5-10 times the cost, that's what - an extra .9$ per ring? Who cares?

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:21 pm

I've never tried it, but wouldn't something like KY "personal lubricant" work? "Stuff" like that is water based, right? And if it's good enough for "personal use" then it should be good enough for shooting spuds at stuff.

Most of the O-rings I run into are for paintball stuff, so I just use gold cup lubricant. It's not the cheapest stuff, but I'd rather use something that's known to be good than risk screwing up my gun.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: beebs111 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:32 pm

i dont know if it would last too long that stuff is pretty not-viscous, im not sure, but wouldn't a lithium based grease work?

in the upcoming presidential election, there will be several candidates who will be running, one of whom is Hillary Clinton. Now WAIT A SECOND!!! I though there was some sort of rule that prevented someone from serving more than two terms in office. Vote Against Hillary: Presidential Elections 08
beebs111
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Hey, I havent ever used "personal" lube. Heck, I'm still a virgin. So I don't have any first hand experience with the stuff. I just heard it was like silicone based and didn't have petroleum.

Lithium grease is kinda thick stuff. I guess it would depend on what O-rings you are needing to lube. If it is like the one on a paintball CO2 tanks, then yeah it should work. If it's like on the bolt, which moves, it would probably slow it down and hinder performance.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Ky would blow out and wouldn't work as well as its water based. Keep it for yourself and whatevr you do iwth it litium grease sounds liek it would work I use ift on my endcaps and it seals.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion