Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Gussmoore, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

aluminum foil burst pressure

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:11 pm

Only problem is you may have to have a long barrel incase the nail only makes a small hole it make take a few spilt seconds to tear the material completely

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 pm

okay, I'm too lazy to read all of these posts but my view on burst disks is simple. Go and buy some clear plasic plates or doggy boxes. In fact, you could go to arctic circle and order a salad to go and use the lid and/or box it comes in. Or go to arby's and buy their biggest roast beef sandwitch. It comes in a clear plasic box. I beleive those should burst pretty high. I've also been told that certain kinds of tape work really good.

"Nine out of ten Americans agree that out of ten Americans one will always disagree with the other nine."
-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

Borrow money from a pessimist, he won't expect it back.

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:53 pm

Bluetooth wrote:A solenoid is a small electromagnetically activated valve. What were you thinking?
It could be modded to pop a disk.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:19 pm

i was considering a mortar style, but its too limited.

i've always know of a solenoid as a electromagnet that moves a normal magnet inside a housing or tube. only recently (last year) did i find out that it was used as a pilot for the sprinkler valve.

what i was thinking is to take a thin wire (got an entire spool of it) and wind it around a brass tube. then take a magnet and glue a tack or point of some sort to the front and place it in the tube. because it is an electromagnet you can reverse the current and when you run it thru one way it shoots the magnet/needle forward into the burst disk, then you reverse the polarity of the electromagnet to draw the magnet/needle back in. you might need some sort of stop to keep the magnet/needle from flying out.

There are rules, and then there are hundred dollar bills.
A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: LGM » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:32 pm

instead of the solenoid, you could have a blowgun mounted to the chamber, and use that pressure to push a pin into the burst disk, maybe have a 45 degree wye on the barrel side and put a small piston in it or something.

LGM
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:38 pm

no piston for me...i have no lathe :(

and the blowgun idea...well in not sure how to construct that

A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: LGM » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Thread a 1/4 inch nipple into the chamber, attach a hose to it, attach the blowgun to the hose, and attach the blowgun to the piston. Also, make the wye a smaller diameter pipe and make the piston out of hot glue or silicon sealant. Just stick a nail in it as it sets.

LGM
Captain
Captain

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:45 pm

meh. i dont think it worth the trouble. i have never made a burst disk cannon and im just doing it as a weekend project....but i if i really wanted to make it good i could get pimpmann to lathe up a piston for me.

A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion