Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Paintball longarm

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Paintball longarm

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Hey all, once again I’m going to tap into the knowledge of Spudfiles, or at least attempt it.
Construction will begin soon on my Paintball Rifle and I still have a few bugs and some questions:
One, I still don’t know the rate of twist needed to stabilize a paintball.
Two, does any one know were I can get a “three-way ball valve” and how much they usually run, I’d rather not get them on line, even from McMaster-Car.
Three, I need a valve, as small and efficient as possible, yet big enough to to get a paintball out the barrel at 300fps. My idea was a chamber sealing piston “tee” valve made from a 1 ¼” tee and using a two ¾” end caps and a short section of pipe as the piston. There will be a gap I between the two end caps for an O-ring. The vale will be ported by a ¼” three-way ball valve, or if a can’t find that a blowgun

Now, I’m not going to make the rifle first, nor am I going to make the short barreled one, I’m going to make a 36inch revolving smoothbore, partially because I don’t have enough information to rifle it and partially because I need to see if I can get the revolver mechanism to work.

Also I did some accuracy tests with my stock Tippmann 98c, the velocity is to high on it though, I was shooting a two liter bottle, the wind was blowing at a 90* angle at about, just a guess, 5mph:
at 18 yards it had a hit average of 2.2 out of 5 with the best group as 4 out of 5, and the worst 1 out of 5. The hits were as fallows:

At 30 yards the hit average was 1.5 out if 5 with the best groups being 3 out off 5, and the worst 0. The hits were as fallows:
We stopped after the fifth group as the wind was picking up.

thanks all.

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: pyromanic13 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:34 pm

rifling a paint ball barrel does not make it fly straighter, a paint ball is not fully filled

Movie dialogue: "The good die first."
Tom: "But most of us are morally ambiguous, which explains our random dying
patterns."

pyromanic13
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:45 pm

Have you made a rifled paintball gun? They told the Columbus it couldn’t be done, and they told the Wright brothers that it wouldn’t work. Plus I said that the one I’m making now wasn’t going to be rifled. Until somebody makes a rifled paintball, and does the entire math and all the thinking and figuring, and finds out that it doesn’t work; I’ll remain unswayed in my belief that it will.

Edit:
DO NOT say any more about whether rifling will work or not unless you have rock solid evidence including a video of a rifled paintball gun. If you’d like to talk about rifling tell me what the rate of twist required to stabilize a .69 call, 52 grain projectile fired at 300fps.

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion