Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 75 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

homemade valves leak...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
homemade valves leak...

Unread postAuthor: keep_it_real » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 pm

So the valve you can see in the second picture leaks along with the two others inside. I used the zero semi auto valve idea from nerfhaven.com which probably wasn't a good idea. Or I should have tested it first somehow before gluing it together. I'll take it a little slower next time.

What should I do now though. I was thinking maybe I could use the stock but throw out the piece on front. The barrel and the hopper are threaded so I can use those again too. Maybe I should just use two sprinkler valves and a temporary chamber. I'm not familiar with sprinkler valves so I don't know how you reset them but it's a thought.

Any thoughts?

Attachments
pb gun 001.jpg
pb gun 002.jpg
Here is a sort of close up view of the valve.
pb gun 003.jpg
I didn't glue the whole gun togther and this is where it's split
Last edited by keep_it_real on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keep_it_real
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:48 pm

Yeah, I got a thought, post a link to the page were you got your valve plans.

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: keep_it_real » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 pm

keep_it_real
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:21 pm

Ok read the page, think I got it, where’s it leaking at? Take one of your pictures and label where the air’s going in and out, where the valve is, although I think I know, etc.
Oh and thanks that’s an interesting valve; think I may consider something like that for my paintball longarms, thanks.
Now you helped me, tell me what’s wrong, exactly were it leaks, etc.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: keep_it_real » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:33 pm

Air leaks out between the copper tubing and the CPVC endcap. I don't think they make the O-rings nerfhaven says you should use but I dunno. Anyway I got two different types of O-rings one with OD 7/16" x 1/4" ID to create the seal (that doesn't work) and another that was just a little bigger to fit inside the vinyl tubing. I just put both o-rings in there hoping the bigger one would hold the smaller one in place (make sense?).

I think it is a pretty good design except I'm not sure the holes in the copper tubing let air out fast enough.

Attachments
pb gun 004.jpg

keep_it_real
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 pm

Hummm…can you take out the brass tube? If you can remove it and pick out the O-ring, then go and find the right one. Or if you’ve looked high and low and still can’t find one get a package of “gasket material”, it look’s red around these parts, you can get it at the home-cheapo, and I’ve seen ’em at the ACE. Well you’re at the hardware get another CPVC end cap as a pattern, cut enough disks so that stacked to gather they are at least as thick as the original O-ring preferably just a faction thicker. Now find the exact center of those disks and take a scrap of ¼” brass tubing and place a disk on a piece of scrap wood, center the piece of tubing and hit it with a hammer until you get a perfectly punched hole, repeat that until all the rubber disks are done, now stick those “gasket” disks in the slot the valve were the O-ring was, put the brass tubing back in and your done. No guarantees that it’ll work, I think it will but in case it doesn’t; now you can’t say I didn’t warn you.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Ummm, i tried one of these once, they arent tha great. they leak like crazy, even if you follow his instructions EXACTLY. but hey, the next sixe up of Brass tubing fits airsoft bb's well, so i think i might make a bolt-action airsoft gun....... but anyway, go with a different semi-auto mechanism, or custom machine the whole thing. if you get it to work, tell me, but otherwise, dont even bother.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: keep_it_real » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:32 am

okey doke...

any semi valve suggestions? or links.

keep_it_real
Captain
Captain

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion