Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 75 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1" or 2" porting valves?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
1" or 2" porting valves?

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:31 pm

well, lately i have had the desire to build something a little bit more powerfull, yet still compact.

my question is , should i go with a 2" supah equivelent, and buils something like a condensed version of the SP93xx from spud tech( maybe a 2' chamber and a 3" barrel) or, should i go with 2 1" porting valves and make something along the lines of a 1/3 scale mega-launcher (GGDT-ed it and about 500 fps with a paintball).

the only thing that im worried about with the SP93 is that, joel says is "LOUD", and recommends not firing it in a city...and i live on the outskirts of a city. and im 13, and weigh ~110 lbs..and wouldnt like being nocked over by the recoil :shock:

as for the mini-mega-launcher it would be VERY small (width is 7" length [without barrel] would be 15") and i want something more impressive/big. ive considered going with a 1.5" valve and making a 1/2 scale gun, but in not sure if i can find pipe/fittings in my city that is larger than 2".

if all else fails i might toss up the money for a 2" supah-equivelent, AND 2 1 inchers! ...not that ill have any immediate use for the 2" one...

well, ive made this long enough, so ill let you comment. :roll:

There are rules, and then there are hundred dollar bills.
A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Personally I'd go for the 2" porting Supah-knockoff over two 1" valves, unless the 1" valves were QEVs. A mini-megah with dual 1" QEVs shooting paintballs/marbles would be SWEET.

Sound is controlled by two things: chamber-to-barrel ratio (bigger is louder) and pressure (again, higher is louder).

Recoil is controlled by projectile weight. Heavier projectiles = more kick. Potatoes and golf balls aren't too bad. Concrete-filled caulk tubes hurt like a mofo. Etc...

Sounds like a fun project. Keep researching and planning and designing before you glue anything, and you're sure to get an awesome finished product. Post pics for us!

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:12 pm

ya, i know bout the heavy=recoil...and know first hand that a short barrel will make a big noise (think 2"by 3/4" barrel with a burst disk at 100 psi..my ears are still ringing :shock: )

as for the dual QEVs, why would you want those over a 1" chamber sealing piston? i would exhaust the valves using my 3/4 sprinkler valve, so i don't think you could get much faster actuation. not sure about the flow comparisons tho. and personally i don't think QEVs look as sexy as a piston valve 8)
i plugged it into GGDT yesterday and i got a better performance with the 1" valves vs a 3/4 QEV (had to guestimate a bit on the piston valves tho), so i think ill go with those. but if you can convince me otherwise, im game.

ive already drawn up the mini-mega-launcher ( can anyone say oxymoron? :lol: ) and i plan on doing a scale drawing on some legal paper later,so i can see how big it would be.

pimpmann can make me a 2" valve for less than a supah, and then the 1"ers cant be that much, so i think ill fork up the money, and get all 3 and use them in whatever projects i may make. ill naturally make it so that the valves can be removed and used in multiple projects(my sprinkler valve is switched between 4 diff projects!) so ill get my moneys worth.

A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:21 pm

Wow, I want to see this thing when youre done. if you are doing a dual barrel-sealing tee valve you will officially be my GOD

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:59 pm

im using 1" porting chamber-sealing piston valves
imagine a mega-launcher that you can hold in your hands!

A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:02 pm

like this, but with piston valves.

Persistence is a measure of faith in yourself
schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:14 pm

yup, almost exactly, but with more of a mega-launcher back, that one comes out of the valves, into a 90º and then into a T. mine will be an exact replica of the back of the mega launcher.

where did you find that? could you please link me?

A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:50 pm

Okay, the only thing is that two 1" valves will not let the same flow out as one 2" valve. It's all because of the area formula for a circle(pi*r^2) If you double the radius, the area grows by four times. In that case it would require four 1" valves to get the same equivalent.

"Nine out of ten Americans agree that out of ten Americans one will always disagree with the other nine."
-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

Borrow money from a pessimist, he won't expect it back.

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:53 pm

ya, i know.
i said it was going to be a 1/3 replica.

A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion