Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I need help - first air cannon

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
I need help - first air cannon

Unread postAuthor: fpshutch74 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:10 pm

Hey,
Im planning to make a pvc air cannon for paintball. I already have a female paintball regulator that i use for my bb machine gun that i made a while back. At first i was going to use 3 9volts wired together to power the valve but i am wondering how to rig the valve witha blowgun so i dont have too. I also am wondering about the pvc vs. metal vs. abs. I want to use this cannon for snowballs too in the cold weather and i dont want to loose an arm. I already know the chamber will be metal but i am wontering if the barrel must be too. I know it isnt holding the pressure continuously but it has to be strong enough to handle the pressure when firing, which might be worse since its a sudden high pressure. So if anyone could help me out it would be great. thanks

fpshutch74
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:26 pm

check the how to page on how to mod the valve, And if your going to make the chamber metal, you might as well make the barrel cause (in my opinion), will look better and plastics don't do to well at cold temperatures, so metal would be the best and safest choice.

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:35 pm

A barrel made of PVC will be fine, you can use metal if you want. Make sure your chamber is metal. Never use ABS for a pneumatic.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: fpshutch74 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:53 pm

thanks, i got another question tho, is there high pressure valves that arnt too expencive becuase if the guns metal, why not get a better valve for higher pressures?

fpshutch74
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:00 pm

Don’t know about the valve, but I’d like to know where you got your regulator and how much it was. Also read the safety rules posted by me and a few other members, my signature is a link to the topic. Oh and welcome to the forums

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:01 pm

mcmasters got them. What kinda pressure are you talking about?

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:48 pm

Abs for a barrel would be fine, its really light weight too. For the chamber you should use metal, especially in the snow.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: fpshutch74 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:54 pm

im thinking around 300 psi mabey, like i said before i intend to use this cannon for multiple things, including paintball, in which i would old use 75-100 psi for a multishot load to "rain" paintballs onto a group of players or use a nerf football for am "anti-tank" rocket at senario games. I was wondering about the higher pressures in terms of non paintball terms only.
As for the guy who asked abou the reg, i bought a palmer female reg. it s normally $80 but i bought it with the mounting kit for a 98 custom for 100. i got the standard output range of 0-800 psi, you can get a 0-300psi but i wanted more options. trust me, safety is not an issue, it stays at the pressure you set it at. you also have the option of a pressure gauge on the side of the reg but i did research and the one they provided is not very accuarate and breaks easy, so i got my own. i use my reg for my bb gun and its really sweet.
And as for the safety i appreciate that you promote the safety, i got alot of idiot friend who i dont trust with any of my guns whether it be my bb, airsoft, paintball, or my potato guns.

fpshutch74
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:31 pm

Everybody else answered your questions nicely, what i've quoted from your post, live by it, 8) , smart thinking :!:

fpshutch74 wrote:And as for the safety i appreciate that you promote the safety, i got alot of idiot friend who i dont trust with any of my guns whether it be my bb, airsoft, paintball, or my potato guns.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:52 pm

you should be able to get some brass balll valves at home depot (or any home improvment/plumbing supply) for 7 or 8 bucks that are rated to 450 psi.

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: fpshutch74 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:50 pm

thanks but i need a fast opening valve, im accually thinking of making two guns a low pressure paintball cannon w/ a breech load so i can reload quick and a metal chamber and a high pressure piston cannon. First i will make the paintball cannon tho

i actually was watching the mythbusters where they shot frozen chickens out of a hugh air cannon. they used this liquid foam material that expanded similar to the chemical "right stuff" to create air tight cartriges. i just wanted to throw that out there becasue it would great to find out that chemical or something similar cuz it forms a mold around your projectile and seals perfectly

fpshutch74
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Thye have this stuff at hardware stores and its called expanding foam or something, I think its used for house insulation or something.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion