Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 81 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 77 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

hot glue

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
hot glue

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:33 am

just a warning. If you ever make a piston out of hot glue wear gloves. I just got second degree burns all over my left hand and it's skin is peeling off because my mold broke apart all over my hands. DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!!

"Nine out of ten Americans agree that out of ten Americans one will always disagree with the other nine."
-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

Borrow money from a pessimist, he won't expect it back.

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:41 am

You should be a little more detailed on how you made your mold, so we don't follow in your foot steps.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:23 pm

okay, good point. Don't tape a piece of pipe onto a piece of plastic. Make sure you glue any piece of pipe down.

"Nine out of ten Americans agree that out of ten Americans one will always disagree with the other nine."
-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:58 pm

squeaks wrote:okay, good point. Don't tape a piece of pipe onto a piece of plastic. Make sure you glue any piece of pipe down.

Huh? Now it's just confuseing, or is it just me?

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:18 pm

Just be glad you weren’t casting brass…
You used TAPE, at the temperatures required to melt hot glue, the glue on the tape melts, even duck tape will let go. One thing I don’t understand is that some people, myself included, use hot glue to hold the mold together and it doesn’t melt, but the glue on the tape does…
Also you think molten glue hurts try grabbing red hot steel, not fun, I dropped the piece of re-bar i was working on and instinctive grabbed for it, big mistake, my hand smelled burnt for over a week, burnt flesh smells horrid, thank god for alovera…

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:29 pm

Well when you use hot glue to hold the mols together it won't melt because there's not enough energy transfer. When the molten glue comes in contact with the solid glue, some heat is transferred, but not enough to melt it, in order dfor it to melt all the energy would have to move from the molten glue to the solid glue, however only enough energy transfers to equilize the ssytem.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:34 pm

judgment_arms wrote:Just be glad you weren’t casting brass…
You used TAPE, at the temperatures required to melt hot glue, the glue on the tape melts, even duck tape will let go. One thing I don’t understand is that some people, myself included, use hot glue to hold the mold together and it doesn’t melt, but the glue on the tape does…
Also you think molten glue hurts try grabbing red hot steel, not fun, I dropped the piece of re-bar i was working on and instinctive grabbed for it, big mistake, my hand smelled burnt for over a week, burnt flesh smells horrid, thank god for alovera…

I find the smell of burnt human flesh soothing

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:35 pm

frankrede wrote:
judgment_arms wrote:Just be glad you weren’t casting brass…

I find the smell of burnt human flesh soothing

I don't especially enjoy it, but it's cool as long as it's not mine 8) .

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: squeaks » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:40 am

red hot steel must suck but you must not have an idea how bad I got burnt. Let me put it this way. I lost 50% percent of the skin on three of my fingers. It peeled all the way to the muscle. They gave me two shots of morphine, a lortab, and another liquid pain killer and it still hurt like I had got road rash from jumping out of a car going 75mph then landing into the great salt lake.

-Collin Mockery
Who's Line is it Anyway

squeaks
Captain
Captain

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion