Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Attachment Problem

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Attachment Problem

Unread postAuthor: imablackskater » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:59 pm

Im making my first gun and i cant attach my schrader valve. its an old valve i cut of a bike so could anyone help

imablackskater
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: LGM » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Is there any rubber from the innertube still on the bottom? If so, just cover that part in epoxy and put it in from behind.

LGM
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:15 pm

I'd recommend that you just buy a new one. They're $2-3 at any auto shop or anywhere that sells car parts / bike parts. Reusing an old one is difficult and they tend to leak.
I prefer the thread-in kind to the pop-in kind, but whatever works.

Peace,
Pete Zara.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: imablackskater » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:25 pm

thanx i am probably going to buy a new one

imablackskater
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: CS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:45 pm

I assuming the valve stem was directly connected to the inner tube itself? If is, you can scrap that idea.

Purchase either a 'pop-in' schrader valve, or even better a schrader valve with NPT threads. NPT schrader will require you to buy a accordingly sized tap, but if your in this hobby for the long hual, your going to buy one, one time or another.

CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: COD_FILLETS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:54 pm

Ive actually used the schrader valve off a bicycle inner tube on two of my guns.

I cut out the schrader valve with the inner tube in a circle the diameter of the PVC end cap. I than drilled a hole thats the same size of the schrader valve and pushed it through the hole (the inner tube is inside the cup of the end cap). I super glued all around the valve on the outside and super glued all around the valve on the inside. The guns were taken up to about 120 PSI (at the most) and havent given way.

Id say using a proper tire screw-on/push-in valve would be better, but its difficult to find large drill bits to drill the hole necessary to drill the plastic (in store that is, I hate shopping online, shipping takes forever).

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

"I'll Procrastinate Later" - COD_FILLETS
From [url]Quotes4All.net[url]

COD_FILLETS
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: noname » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:28 pm

I've used pop in schrader valves up to 160 psi without anything bad happening, just drill a hole the right size, put it through, glob sealant allover it, and pull it all the way until it pops into place.
Pimpmann, I've used threaded schrader valves several times, and I don't use a tap. I just drill a 3/8" hole, put the schrader itself into the drill chuck, then use the drill to screw it in and cut threads. Then I unscrew the schrader from the pipe, coat it in teflon tape, and put it back in with the drill.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:43 am

I've only ever used cut out bike valves.

If you take a look at my cannon its using a presta valve from a bike tyre in a 1/4" compression fitting: http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/2839/grip2ul4.png

If it was in there on its own it'd blow out but theres a metal washer ground to fit over the valve stem and press against the rim of the compression nut.

I do the same with schrader valves in 15mm compression fittings with a larger washer.

A circle of rubber large enough to 'plug' the compression fitting has to be left at the base of the cut out valve.

Mine have been repeatedly used to 160psi+ with zero failures.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion