Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Gussmoore, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

What mine can do!!

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Wow, thats pretty intense, I wonder how the impact would have been from a bigger projectile.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: CpTn_lAw » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:03 pm

well, lol, a potato woud be desintegrated, and egg......let's forget, i have small fruits from a fir tree, they only weight 3 grams....their flight is chaotic, but they almost achive the speed of sound. at close range, they penetrate a 1" plywood before exploding in smaller sharpnels.
Lead sinkers are fun to shoot, with a good wadding, they travel far and make a long splash along the river.
but marbles are definately the most funny projectiles.
I have tested some explosive ammo...but they were chaotic and one exploded in the barrel... (silver fulminate and potassium benzoate in a little cap, when hitting a target, the fulminate which is highly choc sensitive ignites and makes the benzoate burn very very quick, making a deflagration. Be careful though, not to put to much benzoate...or you will have a DDT which is not suitable at all.)

CpTn_lAw
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 pm

Talk of explosive projectiles is bad! lol :lol: anyway, I have never really tried to figure out how far my cannon shoots, pototoes are crappy projectiles anyway and until I can find a good, cheap thing to shoot, well I will stick with pototoes and shooting things close up.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: CpTn_lAw » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:10 pm

you can get pretty good thing from a long distance...actually i'm thinking of another type of combustion canons. I don't know if they are against the rules so i'll invite PCGUY to take a look at my post and tell me if it is.
You basicly put small amount of fine flammable powder, then shake the chamber to have it in suspension mixed with the air, then light it with a lantern lighter. This would be far too dangerous to be tested without the proper equipement, but with all the safety measures needed, this would be a funny experience...

CpTn_lAw
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: lukemc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:23 pm

looks pretty good bubba it can be improved but the damage pics are immpressive just careful what you post exagerations can be taken the wrong way

"Those who are different change the world. Those who are the same keep it that way"
lukemc
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:41 pm

My distance figures are based on.
1. I have my own marked out range that me and my friends go to to test these things.
2. We do alot of our testing at night when the air is cooler and alot less wind about and we use a propelent called 'start ya barstard' it has a higher combustion and creates higher pressures.
3. we use up to date and scale maps + a meter wheel.
4.we also have 1.5m barrels that are rifleled notabe gaines in geting the thing to shoot stright and great bennafets in distance.
the cannon pictured is not my big gun its the smaller modle i built as im on holidays in perth.
So all we do is go back during the day with a meter wheel that i borrow from my mums science department and i go to our firing point and just walk i also take a bag to retreve my balls (they aint cheap u know!!) i leave the fruit where it lays. once i find them i mark out where i found them and how far from point a to where they landed. Dont get me wrong i do find them at 5m from miss fires. what i ment to say way our best shots. not average sorry of corse these come to the hand of god rule dono how they got that far but they where there. sorry guys didnt mean to offend.

Bubba

Bubba05
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 pm

@Bubba05,

That sounds like a pretty decent procedure, and your info sounds solid.

I've just never even seen a tennis ball fly 800 meters, let alone from a combustion gun. A combustion gun can produce around ~90psi MAX from an atmospheric pressure gas mixture - even with a huge chamber and long-ass barrel, 90psi just can't lob a tennis ball that far. A marble, a dart, or maybe a golf ball, I could believe.... My 250ci combustion with a 10' barrel can get a golf ball about a quarter mile, keep in mind that a golf ball is much heavier, denser, and more aerodynamic than a tennis ball, and I'm only getting 400 meters TOPS.

Could you post the specs (chamber size and length, barrel size and length, and any accessories like chamber fans or etc...) of your gun so we could run some numbers on it? If you're really achieving those distances with a combustion, I'm going to build a clone of it :)

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:27 pm

specs: 1.5m barrel 65ml barrel with 1.5mm deep 2cm spaced lan and grove right twist. into a sepretion chamber at the bace that slots into a 80ml to 65ml reduser into 1.5ltr combustion chamber. it has an eletric ignition from the gasmate BBQ range of ignitors. witch is sealled air tight with silicone. we glue them into the pecution cap with quick grip and run earth lines down to a bace then srew the button in. then agusting the gap so that we get an 5mm arc. i use two rubber gaskets on the screw tops. propellent we usualy use is lynx deoderant but we never get more that 200m from that. best results come from start ya bastard witch is basicly a carby cleaner/cold weather start spray witch as a 1 rating on flamability. deoderant has 3.
From calculations we have been acheveing a muzzel velocity approx 432 feet per second. and on the odd occation we have had sonic cracks.
its taken 6 months of testing 4 differant cannons 2 critical malfuntions in with weve bin showered in PVC shapnal advice from a gun smith and people that where in the milatery. when we went out to build these things where not here to finger spiders.

Bubba

Bubba05
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: sjog » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:49 pm

I use a big pond and Google to get my distances.
A gb hitting the water at 500 yds is noticeable

sjog
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion