Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 74 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

piston in galvanised tee

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
piston in galvanised tee

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:01 pm

how would you put a piston in a galvanised tee? it was threads and it would be hard to sleeve it in further. also, how much can galvanised and galvanised fittings hold safely?

mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:07 pm

yes, galvanized steel or iron will hold a couple hundred psi ( i know that sch 40 galvanized iron will hold 300 psi) . to get the barrel to go into the tee you would need to use eather copper or pvc, i dont think you could use steel or iron, unless of course you have a lathe and a welder.

hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:10 pm

i thought of something. i could have a pvc barrel and male adaptor and if the adaptor hole is big enough, i can still put the barrle deep into the tee

mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:12 pm

or you could use the proper fitting, like a bushing and dremal out the stopper.

hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:15 pm

thats what i meant. thanks for the imput though. Im a little disapointed by not being able to have a full metal gun.

mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:17 pm

I have made a piston valve in galvanized iron, and it was really annoying. For one, the welded seem on the pipe which the piston was moving in was extremely annoying. Secondly, to get the barrel portion of the sealing part, I just screwed a pipe nipple in the wrong end of the bushing, and that was it. This worked, but it eventually broke down.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, and I disliked that project greatly because it looked awful. If you really want to do it, then go for it. I would greatly recommend copper though...

BTW, does anyone know whether a propane torch would be able to handle 1" copper pipe and fittings? I was having a small amount of trouble with propane and 3/4" pipe fittings, but I have the hang of it now. Would I need to upgrade to MAPP gas, or should propane work fine? Thanks

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:19 pm

i can do copper because i cant solder and compression fittings are expensive. i like galvanised seel because its threaded

mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:32 pm

rmich732 wrote:I have made a piston valve in galvanized iron, and it was really annoying. For one, the welded seem on the pipe which the piston was moving in was extremely annoying. Secondly, to get the barrel portion of the sealing part, I just screwed a pipe nipple in the wrong end of the bushing, and that was it. This worked, but it eventually broke down.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, and I disliked that project greatly because it looked awful. If you really want to do it, then go for it. I would greatly recommend copper though...

BTW, does anyone know whether a propane torch would be able to handle 1" copper pipe and fittings? I was having a small amount of trouble with propane and 3/4" pipe fittings, but I have the hang of it now. Would I need to upgrade to MAPP gas, or should propane work fine? Thanks

If you heat the fitting and not the pipe it should work fine. It also depends on how you have the flame adjusted, the inner blue part should be 1/4" long, no longer.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: willarddaniels » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Use MAPP on anything over 3/4", it works much better and is recomended by professional plumbers.

When I have made guns or roller sleeves from galvanized pipe, I have always honed the inside of the pipe to de-burr and get rid of the weld, when needed. You can use honing stones or a dremmel.

If you're 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you're 30 and not a Conservative, you don't have a brain.
willarddaniels
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: rad14701 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:13 pm

rmich732 wrote:BTW, does anyone know whether a propane torch would be able to handle 1" copper pipe and fittings? I was having a small amount of trouble with propane and 3/4" pipe fittings, but I have the hang of it now. Would I need to upgrade to MAPP gas, or should propane work fine? Thanks

You really shouldn't have any problems using propane on any size of copper pipe... I have sweat soldered just about every size available without problems...

The issue to consider isn't under-heating but over-heating... With proper cleaning, fluxing, and indirect heating, you shouldn't have any problems... MAPP gas will only increase the flame temperature beyond what you really need, unless you are looking to silver-solder or use brazing rod instead of standard sweat soldering...

It should be noted, however, that all propane torches are created equal... I have three different torch heads that I use depending on the specific task at hand...

rad14701
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:17 pm

rmich732 wrote:I have made a piston valve in galvanized iron, and it was really annoying. For one, the welded seem on the pipe which the piston was moving in was extremely annoying. Secondly, to get the barrel portion of the sealing part, I just screwed a pipe nipple in the wrong end of the bushing, and that was it. This worked, but it eventually broke down.

how would you get a threaded nipple to go all the wal through the tee? i cant find the part of you gun in witch the piston is moving in

mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: willarddaniels » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 pm

how would you get a threaded nipple to go all the wal through the tee? i cant find the part of you gun in witch the piston is moving in

At a hardware store that threads pipe for their customers, as a service, they can do it for you. Of course you may want to pick your employee with care (someone who has helped you before and who seems like they can handle folks building cannons). Politely explain what you are doing and nicely ask them to thread your pipe longer. It is very possible to do, with a little extra effort on their part.

If you're 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you're 30 and not a Conservative, you don't have a brain.
willarddaniels
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: )DEMON( » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:54 am

This topic might help you out, basically a how-to on metal piston valve tee cannons ; http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... 5&start=0&

Forever dreaming...
)DEMON(
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:00 pm

thanks man! just what i needed :)

mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion