Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Redoing my L.A.W.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Redoing my L.A.W.

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Before I explain every thing I’m changing, I need a few questions answered:
One, what does NSF-61 mean, will this be fine on a pneumatic cannon?
Two, what does McMaster-Carr mean by “socket-weld X pipe (spigot)”, like on part #4880K519?
Three, is buying long lengths of pipe from McMaster-Carr a good idea, or will shipping kill me?

I’m making a parts list of stuff I need, afterwards I’ll post it along with the plan, as far as I know it’s never bean done, but it probably has, I’ll explain it later.
Thanks all!

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: WOW!! » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:37 pm

If I am right, the pipe means you glue it into a pipe, and the spigot means you weld it in to a fitting.

What type of pipe are you buying?

(\__/)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

My girl friend says I dont listen, at least thats what I think she said...
WOW!!
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:46 pm

1) NSF-61 is fine to use on pneumatic chambers (I assume you saw it in the description of a PVC part on mcmaster?)

2) That part is just a standard bushing. 1.5" pipe can be inserted into the 1.5" socket on the 3"x1.5" bushing, and the 3"x1.5" bushing can be inserted into 3" couplings, elbows, tees, etc.

3) Shipping kills. If you are buying 5' lengths, it will probably jump at least $10 (it's $20 for me for 5' of 3/4" SCH 80, and I live an hour away). 10' sections use freight shipping, so don't even THINK about buying them off of mcmaster. If you desperately need the 5' lengths, then buy them, but don't be surprised if you pay $20 to $30 in shipping.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Ouch… McMaster-Carr’s confusing… I need a break from it to let my brain rest, so I’ll tell you what my plan is.
As most of you know my L.A.W. broke, I’m going to redo it. This time modular, so if it breaks again all I need to do is unscrew the back and redo it. Yes, I know that part’s pretty near standard but I’m going to do the same for the barrel so I can change it out for a different caliber.
What I’ll have is a piece of pipe with two female adapters on each end, the barrel and exhaust/charge manifold having a three inch male so they screw in. I hope that’s all clear, I’m tired so it may not be.

WOW!!, I’m trying to get SCH40 PVC.

Rmich732, (actually this is to both you and WOW!!) sorry I’m tired, and having trouble thinking, that would glue in to a three inch male and then allow the barrel to slide in (with the proper modifications of course.), am I right, or do I need to go to bed?

Dang it, looks like I’m going to have to start looking around locally. $20 just for shipping, I didn’t even pay $15 for a SIX foot length at Barsco, to bad they went out of business

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:03 pm

20$ for shipping? I can get 10ft of 3/4 sch80 for $4 at my lowes!
Thats rediculous.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:13 pm

I think I get it now, McMaster-Carr does it backwards, by “socket-weld X pipe (spigot)” they mean it glues in to a coupler (the spigot part) and the pipe glue into it (the socket-weld part). Did I get it, or am I really that tired?

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Brooner115 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:07 am

I think u got it. I order stuff from McMaster Carr all the time and I only have to pay for the part because my Dad owns a machine shop and they have to order raw materials and stuff from them all the time, so I doent have to pay for shipping just the PART!! :D :D And since McMaster Carr is shipping to a business they deliver it next day! :D :D
So I am very lucky to have that kind of acces to a Machine Shop and am lucky because my Dad has a business! :D :D

Brooner115
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Blitz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 am

judgement_arms, you're right -- that's what the designations mean. The pictures help more than anything, but that's important to know as well because they're not always good pictures.

I know whatcha mean Brooner115... I'm lucky that I live a few miles away from McMaster-Carr, Will Call is great :) As for the whole machine shop thing... My uncle runs a diesel repair shop but he's kind of a nutjob so I don't feel very confident going over there, even though he doesn't mind that I use his stuff.

No matter, I just got my own drill press yesterday which is pretty much all I wanted immediately. Happy easter for me! Time to do some boring.

Blitz
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Okay thanks. Well I’m asking questions here’s a few more:
Does anybody know if ether Ferguson or the Tractor Supply Company would carry 3inch SCH40 pressure rated PVC pipe and fittings?

Oh and, due to the controversy over the name, what should I call my cannon, a L.A.W. (Light Anti-armor Weapon), a S.A.W. (Shoulder-fired Anti-armor Weapon), or something else?

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Blitz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Well, I'd rule out SAW because that's officially known as Squad Assault Weapon (As in, the M249 Machine Gun), so stick with LAW.

But try not to use periods in the abbreviations. For weapon systems, writers seldom use them. :) Looks better that way, anyway.

Blitz
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Do you not have a hardware store that supplies PVC pipe. I live in a horrible place for finding PVC fittings, yet still all of the home depots, lowes, and local hardware stores carry pipe sizes up to 4", all pressure rated.

BTW, nice post count judgment arms :twisted: (how appropriate is that smiley :lol: ?)

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Blitz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:32 pm

rmich732 wrote:Do you not have a hardware store that supplies PVC pipe. I live in a horrible place for finding PVC fittings, yet still all of the home depots, lowes, and local hardware stores carry pipe sizes up to 4", all pressure rated.

BTW, nice post count judgment arms :twisted: (how appropriate is that smiley :lol: ?)

Nice catch rmich.

It's funny you mention that -- all of the major hardware stores around here have pipe up to 2" pressurized. The rest is DWV crap. However, a few Home Depots do have 4" Sch 40 pipe, which is so weird.

Blitz
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:30 pm

Blitz, yeah your right, that’s what I thought, but people kept complaining about me calling it a LAW (happy)

Rmich732, nope, checked the home-chepot, (depot but I dropped the “D” and added “CH”. Yes, I’m bored.) they ain’t got it, the ACE ain’t got it. There’s a TSC going in, y’all think they might have it?

And my post count is no longer 666, great now I’m going to have bad luck for typing it…

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion