Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Skeet Shoting with a Pneumatic Cannon Possible?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:05 pm

man I want to try a desert eagle .50 its gotta be crazy.
anyways you could try my cartridge method I'll release the details after the contest, with 3/4" cartridges you can use sanded off rim 12G shells as sabots!!!

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: AmYisroelChai » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:08 pm

Definitely go with a metal barrel and a full stock. If nothin more, it will look cool.

Pneumatic spud guns can reach the speed of sound, so I imagine it should be very possible to reach the 1000 to 1350FPS that a shotshell will fire at.

I have never skeeet shot before. Sure I target practice allot with smaller arms. (Ruger 10/22 + brick of .22 + a few toilets down range = 1 fun day !)

But I can only imagine you have to have some sort of shell to prevent the BB's from spreading to far apart to ht the clay target with any effectiveness (see GoatHunter and Pete Z. Above). But thanks for the help.

AmYisroelChai
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:16 pm

Ok this may be a little late but here’s my two cents ($0.02):

First, if you’re going to make a scattergun (I use the term lightly) and expect any form of performance that even vaguely resembles a powder burner you must choke it. Other wise, no matter what you do, you ain’t going to get a usable pattern.

Now to get the velocities required to break the skeet you’re going to have to shoot a light load, maybe a half to three-quarters of an ounce for a 12GA (.75cal, ¾ inch pipe).
This means less lead/steel going down range, which in turn means you’ll need a tighter choke.

Co2 or high pressure compressed air, whether from a scuba tank or shock pump, is a must in order to achieve the higher velocities required.

A piston valve or QEV are going to be necessary, but that’s a given as they’re the only thing’s that will take the required pressure and still work efficiently enough.

You might want to consider a double gun, seeing as how you’re new at skeet and shooting an air arm, a follow up shot is going to be nice.

Other than that there’s no reason that a pneumatic shotgun could not be made that would be usable for skeet. The hardest part being choking it, that and learning to shoot it.

But that’s just my two cents.

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:59 am

can you adapt a choke tube for use on it?

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:38 am

You'll get many a strange look if you show up at a skeet shoot with a spud gun :? I'd check with the range owners before attempting such a stunt.

I think you'd have to go for bigger-is-better pneumatic, 2-3" barrel as long as you can make it, a fast acting valve (exhaust valve piston is your best bet) and as large a chamber and high a pressure as you can go.

Load up a sabot and BBs, and forget aiming, yóu'll have to go for the punt gun effect :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: AmYisroelChai » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am

Judgment_Arms -- its not too late. I am not skeeting for another 3 weeks after finals. So no probs there.

JMR-- I will go there first to see the place to make sure its cool with the owner. Cant imagine they will mid though. Others are using 12g shotguns!

Thank you all for the feedback.

AmYisroelChai
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:29 pm

judgment_arms wrote:Now to get the velocities required to break the skeet you’re going to have to shoot a light load, maybe a half to three-quarters of an ounce for a 12GA (.75cal, ¾ inch pipe).

are you suggesting that a lighter projectile should be used to increase damage? :? cause clearly while lighter rounds are faster they are not stronger due to less momentum.
also how well would a BBMG do for skeet :D if that's not what you meant then that might have made me look dumber

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: hi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:06 pm

i think that Big 5 has some of those skeet targets for those high powered pellet guns. they would break easier that the ones for shot guns, but im not sure.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:42 pm

No Iknowmy3tables, what I mean is, by having less shot to a round (load fewer BBs) each piece of shot will have a higher muzzle velocity, meaning more impact down range.

And no a BBMG would not have the range.

Here, I believe that something like this might work:

Attachments
pneumatic_shotgun.JPG
If you get .177cal [u]lead[/u] BBs you’ll have the oomph to take out the bird at about 30yards.
Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion