Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Skeet Shoting with a Pneumatic Cannon Possible?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Skeet Shoting with a Pneumatic Cannon Possible?

Unread postAuthor: AmYisroelChai » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I know this may sound silly but bear with me I promise I am not an idiot.

My family has been making fun of my Starch Acceleration Obsession. One of my brother commented I should go skeet shooting and he will show me a good time.

I was wondering I wan to show up at the skeet shooting place with any sorta Pneumatic cannon that I can skeet with to show him up. Any ideas?

Even if it’s a mega cannon. 

It has to be safe though. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before.

Thanks
PS
PC GUY if this is in the wrong forum sorry. I was looking for feedback particularly from people with experience with Pneumatic cannons.

AmYisroelChai
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: pyromaniac » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:55 pm

well you could make a semi auto for skeeting.

theres one on here somewhere ill find it.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/semi-auto-t160.html

:pottytrain3:
pyromaniac
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:00 pm

I tried it once. I just put a potato down the barrel and put like 1000 BBs in after it. I used one of those hand-held clay throwers, chucked the clay like 50 feet away from me, aimed and fired. I did hit it, but just barely. 2 or 3 BBs grazed the side of the clay, but that's pretty much it.

iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: goathunter » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 pm

AMYisroelChai,first off we need to get an abbreviation for your name.Dang that is confusing to write.OK back on topic,build a 3/4" barrel(close enough to a 12 gauge) and lookup my cartridge tutorial, try and build something like that only smaller.Fill it with bb's and you have a shotgun.Might ought to build a piston gun to get the proper velocity to break the clay pigeon.I think I have found my new challenge for the next week.I'll work on making a shotshell.

goathunter
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:24 pm

yeah, use buckshot with your normal potato gun, wad a towel down the barrel, then put a bunch of slingshot bb's or other bb's down the barrel.

I have found that bolts & nuts work good, too.

Persistence is a measure of faith in yourself
schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Personally if I were going to build a pneumatic gun with skeet shooting in mind, it would definitely be entirely metal so I could use the higher pressures required to send birdshot long distances at high speed.

You might be surprised how much force it takes to break those clays - light-ish loads from .410 and 28g will sometimes fail to break the clays, so you're going to need a lot of power. I guarantee that you won't be breaking flying clays from more than 25ft with a "normal" (<125psi) pneumatic spudgun.

I'm thinking about something like BTB's sawed-off (search for it) but with a longer barrel. A QEV or other high-pressure valve, and some 1/2" or 3/4" copper pipe for the barrel would be nice. For ammo, some wadding and an ounce or so of BB's would do fine.

You'll need some serious pressure to get birdshot going fast enough to travel a distance and still have some power, so you'll need to be considering a high-pressure gas source like a co2 setup or a shock pump.

I wouldn't try to make anything semiauto or elaborate, go for clean, simple, and powerful. Pattern test it on some big cardboard boxes or etc... before you try to shoot skeet with it.
Also, I'd get the hang of shooting trap/skeet with a shotgun (preferably 12g) before you attempt it with a spudgun.

Hope that was helpful. BTW, I shoot competition skeet, trap, and pistol silhouette.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: AmYisroelChai » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:59 pm

GoatHunter: Sorry for the name - AYC is ok enough :)

Pete - Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you everyone. I never skeet shot before. So this will be fun.

BTW: Pete I am 5'4" 135pd my brothers are all 6' 200 pds plus i am the runt :)

They all handle 12G and 10G with pistol grips no problem and are able to shoot accurate. I nearly broke my wrist with those...

They are brawn and like to make fun of my projects. And to think we are all married with kids LoL.

Anyway my brother is a Master Plumber so I will rummage through his pipes and trucks for fittings and parts.

It will have to wait for after finals though....And I ned to buy a Palmer regulator I have 3 or 4 CO2 tanks hanging around somewhere.

3 weeks I am done with being a 1L !!!!!!!!!!!!

AmYisroelChai
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:51 pm

@AYC

I'm not that much bigger than you at 5'11 / 170lbs. I handle 12ga just fine, especially with light loads like #7 birdshot or "target loads". Don't use a pistol grip; use a full stock, and if you need to, put a folded-up towel on your shoulder between you and the butt of the gun. But really, I'd advise that you get the feel of skeet shooting with a shotgun first - leading the targets, etc... before you try it with a pneumatic cannon.

Sounds like you know what you're doing then. Check out BTB's sawed off on this site, and look around for other metal pneumatic guns made for high-ish pressures. That's what you should target if you really want to shoot skeet with a homemade weapon.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: joe blogs » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:06 pm

I chucked a coke bottle charged at 60 psi and then shot it with a nail tipped cone.

much funner than clay targets.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his" General S Patton
joe blogs
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Has anyone here ever got a 100? I just got my first yesterday and almost everyone at the range shot my hat, including me. It is now in a glass display case in my room. I've had sooo much practice, and it finally payed off. I know most of you guys prolly wont care about this, but I do. (I'm only 13)

iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:23 pm

I have only gone trap shooting once in my entire life... only shot a shotgun 25 times therefore. I got an 18/25

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:27 pm

For your first trap shoot, that's really good. Now that i think about it, that's exactly what I got my first time! :P

iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:44 pm

Da Pneu Kid wrote:Has anyone here ever got a 100? I just got my first yesterday and almost everyone at the range shot my hat, including me. It is now in a glass display case in my room. I've had sooo much practice, and it finally payed off. I know most of you guys prolly wont care about this, but I do. (I'm only 13)

I have a hat full of holes too ;) I shot my first perfect round at 16 or 17, so you definitely got me beat. Good job. Keep it up and shoot safe.

Have you tried any pistol sports?

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Definitely go with a metal barrel and a full stock. If nothin more, it will look cool.

Pneumatic spud guns can reach the speed of sound, so I imagine it should be very possible to reach the 1000 to 1350FPS that a shotshell will fire at.

I'm weird, I know it, you don't need to tell me.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanx Pete! I have tried shooting .22 matches, but I mostly just shoot for fun at my nearby shooting range. You probably won't beleive me but at my shooting range, they rent out Uzis with or w/o a SILENCER, and the same goes for MP5s. The gun I love to shoot the most though is the one and only Desert Eagle .50AE.

iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion