Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

pressure releif valves

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
pressure releif valves

Unread postAuthor: fpshutch74 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:12 pm

i am wondering about the safety bursk disks, is there a relief disk/valve that releaves the chamber pressure if it reaches say 150 psi. i am thinking becuase im using a reg and remote w/ gauges but god forbid it spiked i dont want to lose an arm. im thinking along the lines of the co2 tank pressure release disks, but at 150 psi rather than 3000 psi

fpshutch74
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:27 pm

You can get safety pop-off valves rated for a variety of pressures. My local hardware stores carry 125-psi pop-off valves made for air compressors. I'm sure if you look around, you could find one rated at 150.

Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Compressor-Safe ... dZViewItem

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: rad14701 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:30 pm

There are several styles of pressure relief valves available... One option would be an air compressor style high pressure release valve... These are available in several pressure ratings... These simply pop open if the pressure rating is exceeded and close as soon as the pressure returns to within range... One of these would work great if mounted in the chamber where it wouldn't cause the cannon to pilot and fire... One pressure range above your desired maximum should suffice... I have even considered using one of these as a pilot valve because they exhaust quickly and usually have a pull ring for emergency releases...

Looks like Pete typed faster...

rad14701
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:41 pm

@rad14701,

I've seen someone use a 125-psi pop-off for a pilot valve, hooked up to a compressor full time, to make a semi-auto marble gun. He had a simple bolt action feed system, he'd just turn on the compressor, open the saftey ball valve, it'd fill the chamber to 125psi, the pop-off valve would pilot the QEV or sprinkler (don't remember which he used), he'd rack the bolt while it re-filled, and it'd do it again. I think I saw a true semi-auto version here or on spudtech....

You make a very good point, make sure you put your safety valve somewhere that it can't pilot the gun... unless thats your intention :)

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

P.S. - I have an unfair advantage, typing 180+wpm.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:14 pm

We'll see how fast you type after I secretly change your qwerty layout to dvorak :P

The pilot pop-off valve sounds like a good idea, I might try it if I ever get any money/free time.
In other words, it wont happen for a long time :)

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: rad14701 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:26 pm

@_Fnord...

I'm right there with you on that one... Discretionary income, or the lack thereof, is keeping me from displaying that my helpful hints here in the forum actually work... When it happens, it's gonna be copper - unless I get really desperate... I've been leaning towards the pressure relief valve for piloting myself...

@Pete...

I can type pretty fast when I'm not on my laptop, but not as fast as you... My oldest son is right up there with you in typing speed and always smoked his classmates in speed typing in both high school and college... He just graduated from college so now he just needs to make sure that when he gets a job that he doesn't type himself out of work...

rad14701
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion