Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 46 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

PVC Welding screwup!

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: rad14701 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 pm

I guess we could speculate and imply all night but we may as well just wait to hear back from pyro6314 rather than doing the tail chasing the dog routine...

rad14701
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: pyro6314 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:15 pm

First off, it is nothing to do with my piston! The problem is the shaved bushing on the front of the Tee (which holds the section with the threaded coupling) leaks around the joint between the bushing and the Tee, and leaks bad which I also have a hard time believing after using primer (yes clear) and slopping the glue on. Within the last 15 minutes I took a syringe and shot primer then glue from the back of the Tee (yes a removable plug like on the Mauler) all over the area down there, I then reassembled it and put 50 psi on it and tilted the whole unit around so the glue spread and so far no leak. :D

Anyone know if tons of excess glue will cure when its not bonding PVC; like a pool of it?

The only problem so far with my piston is it doesn't slide as good as I think it should. I machined a PVC sleeve out of SCH40 3" for the piston track and the machining marks along side a tight Oring tolerance is the cause I think. I tried sanding out the machining marks to no avail so I thought maybe melting wax in the grooves? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

pyro6314
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: keep_it_real » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:28 pm

did you lube it up?

keep_it_real
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: pyro6314 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Yes, I used oil. 5-30 to be exact. Figured grease would be too thick.

pyro6314
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Kenny_McCormic » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:39 pm

lighter lube paintball oi,l or 3 in 1, you can use the fill of a paintball to

Kenny_McCormic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: rad14701 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks, pyro6314, for clarifying... Let's hope the added primer and glue, once fully cured, will resolve the problem...

I'm not fond of O-rings but I'd be wary of using wax...

rad14701
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: pyro6314 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:48 pm

Just to see whats going on, I would fire the gun at like 80 psi (F*in deafening!) Then look down the "barrel" section into the valve to see how far the piston moved. My total travel is just over 1/2 inch but it appears to barely move off. Is it possible its bouncing off my bumper and back up?

Another problem, or I think is a problem, I cant pilot with a 1/4 in ball valve and quick disconnect for anything above 40 psi. It just vents out the air instead. I have a 3/32 equalization hole but am trying to contemplate how to build or a attach a tiny check valve. (Fish aquarium air bubbler type (plastic))

pyro6314
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion