Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

blue demon?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
blue demon?

Unread postAuthor: scatdawg » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:37 pm

i cant remember if thats what he called it or not. i was talking to my neighbor today about some scrap plastic pipe that he has laying around. hes in the industrial water/ gas main lines business. anyways he had about 12 feet of something i had never seen before. it was about 7.5 inches outide diameter with about 3/4 inch wall thickness. it was rated on the side at 200 psi. i think he called it blue demon or devil but cant recall exactly. has anyone heard of this? nowhere on it said pvc in the ratings or dwv or abs. just wondering what kind of plastic it was and if it would be usuable as a cannon.

2. he also had some ( guessing ) 18 inch plastic pipe with about a 1inch thick wall 12 foot long. no ratings. but i thought this might be nice for a chamber if i wrapped it in fiberglass and kevlar sheeting. i got a buddy in the kayaking manufacturing business who has lots of kevlar sheeting. anyone ever tried wrapping your tubes with fiberglass or kevlar?

scatdawg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: deusXmachina » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:55 pm

200psi rating means just that. It should work wonderfully for a pneumatic or combustion (good luck finding fittings though, you'll probably have to jerry rig some of your own adapters)

As for the 18 inch, meh, 1" thick walls are impressive, I suppose if a kevlar vest can stop a bullet it should at LEAST slow down PVC frag (assuming it's PVC). I say you could try it for a combustion, there wouldn't be much of a point for a pneumatic chamber that size (you'd never find fittings, at least at a reasonable price). But damn....you'd need a sabot to launch a 5 gallon pail, you could probably launch a trash can.

"On a scale from 1-10, I hope you fall in front of a bus."

:white stuff pours out of piston: "What is that? It looks like milk."
"....<i>Well...</i> it's not milk."

YAAAAAAAAYYYY WE'RE DOOMED!
deusXmachina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:12 am

YOU might even fit in it.... just kidding. yea, ive seen some of that pipe, they use it around the cannals at my house. i have no idea where to get fittings though. maybe you should just make a plug out of wood and cement and have it as a combustion. have half the pipe be the chamber and the other half be the barrel. put a bolt through the middle so that the round dosnt go into the chamber for obvious resons.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: clide » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:21 am

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: scatdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:20 am

thats it clide thanks. its the 200 psi rated stuff. looks like about 6 inch inside diameter. that interesting that it fits to iron... veryyyyy interesting! he did say something about flanges and o ring seals fittings. he said that he could get fittings for any pipe that he has. just expensive.

scatdawg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: rad14701 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:26 am

I've seen the Blue Brute PVC used locally for replacement of municipal water supply lines... The type used here was more flexible than what I would consider acceptable for a barrel... If they pipe you have is rigid enough it might work...

rad14701
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: scatdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:39 am

the pipe is very rigid. i thought a 200 psi rating for something that large of a diameter was impressive. ill try to get some pics of it.

scatdawg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: rad14701 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:03 am

The pipe I've seen is rigid with regard to not collapsing but it would eventually conform to uneven ground in trenches - so it's more of a long term rigidity issue... It's the linear rigidity that I'd be concerned with... I'll see if I can dig up some additional spec's on this pipe...

rad14701
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: scatdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:23 am

theres also a big piece of black thick walled pipe. no markings on it though. im guessing it might be abs

scatdawg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: scatdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:38 am

gonna try to attach a pic if i can get it to work

Attachments
Picture 001.jpg

scatdawg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: scatdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:44 am

heres a couple more. they are stored under a porch so the sunlight was only hitting afew pieces. the black pipe is impressive looking. now i just need to come up with a plan. almost all his stuff is at least 12' long. the two pieces side by side are 4 inch schedule 40 and not dwv. has what looks to be about 5 pieces 20' long. im like a kid in the candy store with a wad of cash in my back pocket.

Attachments
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 003.jpg

scatdawg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: scatdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:46 am

4 inch schedule 40

Attachments
Picture 004.jpg

scatdawg
Sergeant