Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Piston

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Piston

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:23 pm

I was wondering what the biggest piston valve someone has built as of now. I want to build a really big one and was wondering if anyone has any advice on it. I was thinking somewhere around a 4 inch piston but I am not sure whether its worth it.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:08 pm

I have built a 4" piston valve with 3" porting... this is the largest piston valve that I have ever built. Within a few months to a year, I hope to rebuild it and improve it.

Honestly, once you get into the 4" porting valves in a 6" tee, it just gets annoying (this is not talking about coaxials, which are an entirely different animal). The fittings are too expensive, the pressure rating is too low, the pieces are too hard to find, and if you mess up, your screwed.

I have plans to build a 4" porting valve in a 6" tee... I could buy all of the parts off of mcmaster.com for under $200; however, for the reasons stated above, I do not plan to do so.

If you build one, you are going to need a pretty big pilot valve; I would recommend a good sized piston valve or a 1.5" QEV.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:58 am

Well I think I have access to rather large steel stock and I have a few lathes and mills to work with so I was hoping to build it that way, but if the results start to diminsh then I probably wont. I guess I woudlnt really have a cannon that actually needed one that size anyway.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: AmYisroelChai » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:39 am

ShowNoMercy wrote:Well I think I have access to rather large steel stock and I have a few lathes and mills to work with so I was hoping to build it that way, but if the results start to diminsh then I probably wont. I guess I woudlnt really have a cannon that actually needed one that size anyway.

No No No... Dont get discaureged. The limits in larger fitting is with PVC only because the PSI rating is super low. With steel -go for it!!!! You can build a monster cannon that way!!

Build a custom piston by cutting down 6" pipe or what not.

AmYisroelChai
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion