Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 83 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pneumatic Propane Power

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:54 am

mega_swordman wrote:For Chaos, Spudthug is partially right. Compressing a gas (in our case, propane) in a closed container raises the temperature. However, an interesting point I also read is the fact that propane, when over 100C remains in a gaseous form. So, whether you achieve enough pressure to raise the temperature can only be tested.

You're forgetting that you are not compressing propane when you get it out of the cylinder... It is turning from liquid to gas and expanding - in fact cooling down.

If you started with a load of gaseous propane and then squashed it you would raise its temperature.

To get propane from a cylinder to over room temperature you would have to heat it.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Hotwired wrote: You're forgetting that you are not compressing propane when you get it out of the cylinder... It is turning from liquid to gas and expanding - in fact cooling down.

You're right! I forgot about the release of pressure. :banghead: If that is the case, then the cannon should work just fine.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Sat May 05, 2007 5:09 am

ummm ok

here is what i used it for and what i wrote to conclude this

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... html#82715

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: integral » Sat May 05, 2007 5:57 am

Just wondering... what is the maximum pressure a conventional 2.5hp compressor can obtain? Would it be worth tapping a empty butane/propane blow torch bottle with a schrader and using that as an onboard air supply?

integral
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion