Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pneumatic Propane Power

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pneumatic Propane Power

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:16 am

So ive been thinking....... :idea: propane for a pneumatic i have seen it on a couple of gun and was contemplating doing it with mine, because i dont have access to CO2 or HPA cylinder i was thinking of gas.
the fact is if i have a continues supply of pressure to my gun it could very well be semi auto, cheap and affordable and best of all portable.

any thoughts on this people?

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:17 am

yeah. keep away from naked flames :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:23 am

**eh its stainless man im sure it could withstand it**

if ya diddnt know already the propane would be over saturated (wont ignite) but man it would be kool to let off over a flame.

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:27 am

Yeah, but imagine firing it indoors and somehow managing to get an exact 4% mix with the air in the room... unlikely, but something to keep in mind :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: goose_man » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 am

That would be very bad for the environment. Hydrocarbons such as propane are worse greenhouse gases than CO2. :D

goose_man
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 am

do i care of the environment?......

man jack a 4% mix, that would really suck aye. but i think i wont shoot inside with it connected to gas

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:13 am

chaos wrote:do i care of the environment?......

Let's face it, all this global warming malarkey will only become a serious issue after our generation will be dead, so let future generations worry about it hehe

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:30 am

As for propane powered, I think it is a novel idea. It is so basic, yet so interesting that it will captivate the masses...maybe. As for global warming, oh well, we'll figure it out sometime; but until then, we should live life to the fullest...maybe :dontknow:

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:35 am

mega_swordman wrote:As for propane powered, I think it is a novel idea.

There's one that's been submitted for the contest

Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: spudthug » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:44 am

cant propane only go to like 85 psi without going liquid and screwing up ur gun?? plus if u fire it off and then u breath it in im sure it would add up..some kids died like last month becasue they were in a basement having a sleep over and someone left a propane torch on..it wasnt lit..

4" piston valved cannon-half done..( i spilt my cement...)

Hybrid- 75% done. need to build propane holder and drill/tap sparkplug hole..
spudthug
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:04 am

spudthug wrote:cant propane only go to like 85 psi without going liquid and screwing up ur gun??

hmm somehow no i don't think so... the attached table shows that it has pressure at various temperatures... the submitted contest PB longarm gun seems to use it fine.

Attachments
propan4.jpg
Propane Chart
propan4.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 498 times
chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:11 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:There's one that's been submitted for the contest

Hmm, didn't see that. I know we had a discussion on said cannons, but I didn't see that anyone actually built one. Thanks Jack!

For Chaos, Spudthug is partially right. Compressing a gas (in our case, propane) in a closed container raises the temperature. However, an interesting point I also read is the fact that propane, when over 100C remains in a gaseous form. So, whether you achieve enough pressure to raise the temperature can only be tested.

I have here the source of my information:

Compressing a gas does affect its temperature, it actually INCREASES it, which is exactly the opposite of what you need if you are trying to liquify it. However, as I said before, providing the gas remains below its "critical temperature" (and each gas has its own) at some point the increased pressure will cause it to liquify.
In the case of propane this temperature is 97 degrees centigrade. This is obviously just below the "normal" boiling point of water (100 C). If propane has a temp of 100C it is impossible for it to be liquified no matter how much pressure you exert on it.
In the case of Oxygen, it has to be below MINUS 118.57 C (155 kelvin) to be a liquid.

In Gnomon's case, and he is quite right, of bottled gas and the "it is partially liquid: you can hear it sloshing around", applies only in what you might term "normal circumstances".
If Gnomon's gas bottle (let's assume it contains PROPANE) is submersed in a large tank of boiling water, the bottle and propane (liquid and gas) will start to rise in temperature. As the temperature rises more of the liquid turns to gas, but more gas in the closed bottle means higher pressure trying to stop the liquid becoming a gas. However the evaporating liquid slowly wins the battle. At some point the bottle and propane will reach 100 deg. C. When this happens there will be no liquid propane in the bottle, for although it will be under immense pressure, it will all have turned to gas. Infact if the gas bottle is not strong enough it will explode.

As well as the URL to this discussion.

I hope this cleared it up.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: goose_man » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:33 am

Just got an idea...imagine a really, really, really small turbine engine (like a smaller version of the ones used in airplanes) hooked up to propane and attached to a bbmg as the air source. Though not feasible, it sounds pretty cool.
-goose_man

goose_man
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 am

Why not just run the BBMG off propane? And well you’re at it put a pilot light at the muzzle. It would be like a flame thrower, except flaming, molten airsoft BBs instead of napalm…

Yeah, propane would be nice source of power for pneumatics, green gas airsoft guns use propane, and they’re more potent then Co2 guns.

I, personally, wouldn’t use it; I’d end up blowing something up or setting something on fire…
“No officer, it’s not supposed to be a flamethrower…”

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:56 am

“No officer, it’s not supposed to be a flamethrower…” lol *add to comment* "its supposed to be a homemade airgun"

lol either way ill get dun for it stupid aus gun laws.....

still i dont see the reason not to use this stuff , oh and if it does liquefy wouldn't it turn straight back to gas after the valve opens?

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion