Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

2.5" Threaded Plug

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
2.5" Threaded Plug

Unread postAuthor: jssizzle » Sat May 12, 2007 4:04 pm

I've been working recently on a small coaxial with a 1" barrel and a 2.5" chamber. For those of you who saw my other post, yes this is the cannon I made for a bet. Because the bet was to make the cannon out of only spare parts, I decided to test my luck and build the cannon with out a threaded adapter on the back. It shot once, while my friend was watching, so I won the bet. But, the next time I shot it the rubber disk ripped clean off of the piston. Luckily my friend didn't see this, so I won the bet.

Anyways . . . With no way to service the piston, I cut off the endcap. I was looking on mcmaster for the parts I need, and the best setup seems to be a 2.5" female adapter and a 2.5" threaded plug (For some reason they don't have a 2.5" male adapter).

The parts are 4880K153 (the female adapter) and 4596K79 (the plug), but the plug seems to only come in schedule 80. Will this make a difference?

Sorry for the long post, I didn't have time to write a short one.

jssizzle
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sat May 12, 2007 4:11 pm

its ok if its sch80. it just means that the ID is less, but it will still work with sch40.

my hybrid is a combination of sch40 and sch 80 parts and thay all work together.

also, my sprinkler valve gun is made entirely of sch40, but had a sch80 nipple on it and it work just as well as the sch40. they are fully compatable.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jssizzle » Sat May 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Thats great to know.
Now that I think about it that seems kinda obvious.
Thanks.

Does this also mean that 3/4" CPVC will fit in a 3/4" sch. 40 fitting?
(I'm guessing yes)

Man, what a waste of your 499th post.

jssizzle
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Sat May 12, 2007 4:34 pm

No, CPVC won't fit into sch40 fittings, it has a smaller OD. You need fixer bushings to adapt it to PVC.

iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jssizzle » Sat May 12, 2007 4:39 pm

Fixer bushings . . .?

Elaborate por favor.

jssizzle
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Sat May 12, 2007 4:48 pm

They are basically just bushings that increase the OD of CPVC to fit into regular PVC fittings. I've seen hardware stores call the "special" bushings too, but prolly the most common is just "CPVC x PVC" bushings.

iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jssizzle » Sat May 12, 2007 4:51 pm

Ok, that makes sense.
Thanks for all the help.

jssizzle
Corporal
Corporal

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sat May 12, 2007 5:21 pm

...yes it will... ever wonder why people solvent weld 3/4" SCH 80 CPVC pipe to a PVCmale adapter, and then use it as a paintball barrel?

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Sat May 12, 2007 6:06 pm

Nope. 3/4" CPVC has a smaller OD than 3/4" PVC. Paintball barrels are usually 3/4" Sch 80 PVC or 3/4" Sch 40 CPVC.
I just stick with SDR 13.5, it's so much simpler/ :D

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sat May 12, 2007 6:40 pm

...argh...

<a href="http://www.harvel.com/pipecpvc-sch40-dim.asp">CPVC SCH 40 Dimensions</a>

<a href="http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sch40-80-dim.asp">PVC SCH 40 Dimensions</a>

You can all look for yourselves...

EDIT: And...

<a href="http://www.harvel.com/pipecpvc-sch80-dim.asp">CPVC SCH 80 Dimensions</a>

<a href="http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sch40-80-dim.asp">PVC SCH 80 Dimensions</a> (Below SCH 40 dimensions...)

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Sat May 12, 2007 6:59 pm

Okay rmich ,
1) Sch 80 CPVC won't come even close to fitting a paintball
2) Like noname said, people use sch 80 PVC for paintball barrels
3) If you don't beleive me, go to the hardware store and measure the PVC and CPVC. I have done this myself, and the CPVC was indeed smaller than the PVC of the same size...

iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sat May 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Okay Da Pneu Kid,
1) The ID of SCH 80 CPVC is .722"; this is a .042" difference from the ID of paintball barrels, .68". While the fit is not perfect, it is decent, and will provide plenty of power
2) I have used 3/4" SCH 80 CPVC for my paintball guns; I have made several using this pipe, including a breech loading QEV gun, a piston valved PB rifle (no rifled barrel), a sawed off PB rifle (again, no actual rifling), and a semi automatic PB rifle (again...)
3) In the post above, I provided charts which gave the OD and ID of both SCH 40 PVC and SCH 40 CPVC, along with SCH 80 PVC and SCH 80 CPVC... I am not sure why you are telling me I am wrong; go tell Harvel that they are wrong...

Although, I have seen other types of CPVC at my local Lowes... never really checked it out though; it looked more yellow than regular PVC pipe.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: clide » Sat May 12, 2007 7:39 pm

Ok, I'll try to clear up the confusion. CPVC is made in several sizes. SCH 40 and SCH 80 are a standard and will be the same size no matter what the material.

Most CPVC that you will find in the hardware store is neither SCH40 nor SCH80, but <b>CTS</b> (copper tube size). This is what works best for paint balls. This is sized so that the OD is the same as standard copper pipe and will not fit in normal fittings, the best way to adapt it to a gun is through threaded adapters since they are all NPT.

CTS CPVC (what is in most hardware stores and works for paint balls)
http://www.harvel.com/piping-cts-dim.asp

Last edited by clide on Sat May 12, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sat May 12, 2007 7:47 pm

sorry to butt into your cpvc vs. pvc arrument, but I too have a pipe question.

what do i need to make a 1/4'' refrigerator copper tube fit into a 1/4'' NPT thread?

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: clide » Sat May 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Is the OD 1/4"? If so then you need a 1/4" Compression x NPT adapter. Any decent hardware store should have them.

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion