Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Propane is better than you thought

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: FeLeX » Mon May 28, 2007 6:38 pm

Hmm I might have to give it a shot after 31st. I have 100 dollars saved up for either advanced combustion or portable pneumatic (I bought a mini compressor that supposedly goes to 300psi). If I have any moneys left over ill give this a try since I already got a torch.

FeLeX
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:00 pm

FeLeX wrote:Hmm I was thinking about this for a long time and what I thought was:
Would you get as many shots from the 3 dollar propane tank using it for pneumatic as you would using it for combustion. Because the power is almost the same you know...
Tell me what you think...

Nope, you would get a lot more shots from the tank in combustion mode than in pneumatic mode.

For a 100 in<sup>3</sup> chamber the combustion mode needs about 4 in<sup>3</sup> of propane at 1 ATM. Total propane per shot = 3 in<sup>3</sup>ATM

For a 100 in<sup>3</sup> pneumatic you would probably use 100 in<sup>3</sup> at the vapor pressure of propane at the shooting temperature, figure something in the vicinity of 100 PSI (6.8 ATM). Total propane per shot = 680 in<sup>3</sup>ATM

You will get something like 200 times as many shots in combustion mode versus the pneumatic mode.

For any combustion gun, except an absolutely huge one, a single propane tank lasts pretty much forever.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: FeLeX » Mon May 28, 2007 7:08 pm

Man, now that I think about it it was a pretty retarded question. Sometimes my brain just shuts off. But yea bottom line is that propane is the CO2 without the expensive regulators and etc.
The only application I can find for it is for portable pneumatics. But you could also use one of those $10 mini compressors.

FeLeX
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Tue May 29, 2007 5:37 am

yah, but those mini compressors dont fill your chamber in .0001 seconds......... and you cant light the muzzle exhaust on fire just for fun............. (i dont reccomend it though, i killed a GNBB by doing that.... melted the hop-up....)

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FeLeX » Tue May 29, 2007 7:33 am

Yea thats true. I dont think I will ever try the whole light propane at the muzzle thing. Plus I find having an onboard compressor alot more fun then just some tank. But different people like different things.

FeLeX
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Wed May 30, 2007 4:15 pm

well, i want to be able to get 800 shots off in a minute, and i dont think an onboard compressor will allow me to do that...........

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion