Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 80 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

What size coaxial should I make?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
What size coaxial should I make?

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Mon May 28, 2007 9:23 pm

I am having trouble on deciding on the size of the new coaxial I want to make. I am planning on making the piston out of wood. I just need some suggestions on what my barrel size and chamber size should be.

EDIT Can someone use their GGDT for me since I have an apple computer which I cant install GGDT on? I will PM you the different specs.

Last edited by origin unknown on Mon May 28, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: hi » Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 pm

I have a 1.5'' chamber and a .75'' barrel and it works great because in order to make barrel support in the chamber i just take a peice of 3/4'' pipe and cut it in half and have instant barrel supports.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 pm

2.5" barrel, 4" chamber? You could use a 3" PVC endcap as the piston instead of wood (I have wanted to build such a coaxial for a while...)

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Mon May 28, 2007 9:45 pm

2"sch 80 chamber with 1.5"fittings

barrel 3/4"sch 80/

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Mon May 28, 2007 11:57 pm

14'' chamber with a 1/2'' barrel, that i would like to see. that would be kinda rediculous, but so cool.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue May 29, 2007 1:55 am

The question really is what do you want to shoot, how big do you want to make it and what are you pumping it with? If you use a 1.5 chamber and 0.75 barrel like hi suggested and make it long enough you'll have a nice fast marble shooter of managable dimensions that can be easily taken up to pressure with a bike pump.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: noname » Tue May 29, 2007 5:39 pm

I'll give you some fun 8" PVC if you want. :D I'd have to charge a couple bucks a foot though, but no more than $5.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: hi » Tue May 29, 2007 9:05 pm

noname wrote:I'll give you some fun 8" PVC if you want. :D I'd have to charge a couple bucks a foot though, but no more than $5.

how much do you have?

hi
Major General
Major General

Re: What size coaxial should I make?

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:15 pm

origin unknown wrote:EDIT Can someone use their GGDT for me since I have an apple computer which I cant install GGDT on? I will PM you the different specs.
you señor, are officially in the elite group.

anyway, back on topic.

it all depends on your ammo. i would go for a nice 2-3" chamner with a .75-1" barrel.

There are rules, and then there are hundred dollar bills.
A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Tue May 29, 2007 11:51 pm

Hi, I had 20 feet, but used 6 or 7 for a not yet finished soccer ball gun, so I have around 13 or 14 feet of it. It's 8" Sch 40, rated to 160 psi, ASTM rated and all that other writing that's on PVC.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi, for your "3/4" inch barrel and "1 1/2" inch chamber, about how long do you think the chamber and barrel should be?

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:26 pm

noob of noobs wrote:Hi, for your "3/4" inch barrel and "1 1/2" inch chamber, about how long do you think the chamber and barrel should be?

it can be as long as you want it to be. mine was around 9 feet, but there is no advantage over one that was 4 feet. i made it long thinking it would give me more power, but it didnt. i still got maybe 800 fps out of it, but one half the size would be about the same.

i would say no less than 8 inches, no longer than 5 feet. it is truely up to you how long it is. i like to have the barrel flush with the bushing, but you can extend it about a foot if you want to.

hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 pm

Thanks, I'm gonna try a 3 footer (plus the pilot and schrader) Also, how high should one pressurize such a cannon? I heard coaxials are a lot weaker since there's air pressure being exerted on the barell.

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Ill run GGDT for you if you want me to. I also have a Mac, but I can use my mom's laptop for GGDT.

Summer Projects:
CO2 tank hybrid: Gotta fix the meter :(
Cane gun: Needs a pilot/fill setup
1.5" piston valve gun: Almost done
iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I am making a coax pistol with a 1.5" chamber and a 1/2" barrel.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion