Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

ball bearing / marble piston

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
ball bearing / marble piston

Unread postAuthor: spud-tom » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:36 am

does anyone think that it is possible to make a coaxial with a marble? In my opinion, since it would be pretty heavy and it would rest on the pipe, as the air is pressurized, it would put the marble against the barrel - sealing it. Can you help me out and post some comment or ideas? Thanks.

spud-tom
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: singularity » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:43 am

there was a min coaxial "pen gun" that used an airsoft bb for a piston he won second place in the spud gun build off, check the spudfiles home page you'll see it

be sure to check out my <a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/ak-style-airsoft-vortex-gun-t10959.html">AK Styled Vortex Gun</a> and my <a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/at-4-t9627.html">AT-4 Rocket</a>

upcoming projects... finalized clip fed BBMG and ball point pen sniper
singularity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: spud-tom » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:45 am

yea, i saw the post but didn't that guy say that he "thought" about putting the bb in, but to be safe he just went along with a normal piston?

spud-tom
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:07 am

the bb is the piston. there is a gasket on the barrel to seal it.

to answer your question, yes, it could be the piston.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: spud-tom » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:50 pm

thanks guys, any ideas of balls bigger than a bb, smaller than golf ball - like a marble, but lighter

spud-tom
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 pm

www.mcmaster.com. search balls. youll find what youre looking for, garunteed. its where i get my steel 6mm air(hard) bb's. you can buy basically ANY size. find one that matches the ID of the tube youre using. i want to see this work, it makes sense that a ball would work well as a piston. never gets jammed :)

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:03 pm

spud-tom wrote:yea, i saw the post but didn't that guy say that he "thought" about putting the bb in, but to be safe he just went along with a normal piston?

I did this because my method of epoxy construction basically cannot be dismantled, only destroyed, so I figured I'd go with something I knew would work rather than experimenting.

If your tolerances were tight enough however I'm sure this would work well - you need to match your ball o/d to the chamber i/d very well though.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:08 pm

would a solid rubber ball work? that way you wouldnt need a seal face because the piston is the seal face?

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:14 pm

hi wrote:would a solid rubber ball work? that way you wouldnt need a seal face because the piston is the seal face?

Good idea, though it might cause problems in the long term as the rubber is always presenting a different face to the barrel edges which would cause uneven wear - but if you can access the ball and replace it this won't be an issue.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: pyromaniac » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:20 pm

what about a mouse ball in 3/4?

:pottytrain3:
pyromaniac
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: spud-tom » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:29 pm

yea, i'm thinking of making a coaxial with a ball, (and making it fully accessible by just taking threaded pipe and sealing it with teflon tape) I like the rubber ball idea thought.

Merged:

what do you think about the Buna-N rubber Balls from McMaster?

spud-tom
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion