Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 46 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fuel for my pneumatic

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Fuel for my pneumatic

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:53 am

Hey
Iv done some searching but i didn't really get the answer i needed.
I am getting lazy when it comes to pumping my pneumatic up, and was wondering of some relatively cheap sources of compressed gas. I have seen air compressor, propane or CO2. What does everyone thing and what is involved in using them?

Here is the gun i want to use

Thanks
Marco

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:21 am

well for starters here is a propane thread.

here

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:23 am

thanks, i must of missed that thread

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:25 am

Regulated Co2, liquid and un-regulated Co2 is dangerous unless you use an all metal construction.

Air compressor would work to, just buy a compressor, a few fittings, and hose, electicity is cheap (depends if your paying the bill or not). You are restricted to where you can go.

Co2, once you build a regulated Co2 fill station, you have to refill the Co2 tanks which could cost about $.25 an ounce, portable system using paintball tanks

Propane, from what I understand its only at 90 PSI (someone correct me if I am wrong), probably should not use near open flame, and you have to refill the tanks or buy new ones and you can have portability (depending on the type).

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:30 am

Ok, do you know how much gas is in a say 10Kg bottle of propane?

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:33 am

Sorry, I don't know much about propane, my cannons use un-regulated, liquid Co2.

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:56 am

A compressor is the best idea, might not be cheap but you only spend your money once and you've got free air for the rest of its life, which should be many years if you look after it.

co2 is also an option but you'll need a regulator to be able to use it safely. Check if there are any paintball centres near you that would be convenient for refilling your tank.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:10 am

Ok, i forgot to mention i want portability, which CO2 would provide. Would propane work well? im only operating at around 100psi. My parents also don't want an air compressor in the house because of its size and cost. There is a paintball center about 40 minute drive from my house, but it will be expensive for the fittings and everything. I like the idea of propane because i already have a small cannister at home thats not being used and i can get it near my house.

how dangerous is propane to use?

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Redcoat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:14 am

well i don't know if it will help but you know those tyre pumps that are motorised(electrical) ,just small air compressors, there relatively cheap.

edit- it will fit over a tubeless tyre valve. If thats what your pumping.

nice gun btw. :wink:

Last edited by Redcoat on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poo.
Redcoat
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: shud_b_rite » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:17 am

Quite safe I believe. If you are using a solenoid valve (which you aren't) then I would stay well away from it.

Airbeds... so many different uses
shud_b_rite
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:28 am

Thanks for the kind words imperialist1
I had a look into those small electric pumps and i heard the didn't last long

OK cool thanks shud_b_rite
What about breathing it in? and how many shots do you think will come from say a 5kg container in my gun?

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:36 am

Orpackrat wrote:Regulated Co2, liquid and un-regulated Co2 is dangerous unless you use an all metal construction.

Air compressor would work to, just buy a compressor, a few fittings, and hose, electicity is cheap (depends if your paying the bill or not). You are restricted to where you can go.

Co2, once you build a regulated Co2 fill station, you have to refill the Co2 tanks which could cost about $.25 an ounce, portable system using paintball tanks

Propane, from what I understand its only at 90 PSI (someone correct me if I am wrong), probably should not use near open flame, and you have to refill the tanks or buy new ones and you can have portability (depending on the type).

haha ya should have looked at the link i posted :wink:

lol anyways propane has variable pressures

by looking at that chart you can work out what pressure the propane is at at certain temperatures.

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: shud_b_rite » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:38 am

Its hard to tell. chaos's piston gun he said he got 40 shots with a 9kg tank and still lots of gas left over. Your chamber is quite a bit bigger so you should get at least 20 from a 5kg tank, could be more i don't know.

As for breathing it in, It would be kind of hard not to breathe any in with such a large chamber but I would try not to. The fumes will still hang around for a bit after the first shot so I would go 10m in the other direction to fire it.

Airbeds... so many different uses
shud_b_rite
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:50 am

Ok thanks eveyrone for the replys and everything, iv decided to not be so lazy and pump it up with my pump, it takes about a minute to get to 100psi.

This leads me onto another question which doesn't really deserve a new thread. I have the gauge on my cannon and one on my pump, the one on the pump reads ~15psi more than my cannons gauge, why is this? which one is correct?

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:56 am

atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi so technically even when "empty" there is already 15 psi in the tank. The gauge on your cannon assumes that the initial 15 psi is in fact zero, while the one on the pump probably reads 15 psi even before you start pumping. The true pressure is the one on your gauge, as the extra 15 psi inside is effectively cancelled out by the 15 psi of atmospheric pressure outside the chamber.

What kind of pump are you using? there are many different configurations out there, some more comfortable than others.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion