Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Automatic Fire

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:50 pm

I’ve got an old ¼” slide valve that when you pull back the sleeve it cut’s off the flow and opens up the other end, wonder if that’ll work?
If I fill through the sprinkler valve, how fast will my chamber fill, would it be any slower than if I used a small piston valve?

EDIT:
I just tried to fill through the sprinkler valve and nothing happened, I hooked the quick-connect nipple right up to the elbow I got sticking out of my modded sprinkler and the chamber wouldn’t fill. Is there some modification I need to do to the valve to make it work or what?

And yes, I’ve used this sprinkler before with a blow-gun and it works fine, other than sounding like and angry wookie…

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Hmm... I think it depends on the model whether you can fill through the pilot area or not. As to what would fill quicker, it's all a matter of filling and equalisation flow, pilot and chamber volumes etc. so you're either in for some pretty tough calculations or many happy hours of trial and error :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: clide » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:54 pm

If you want to fill a sprinkler quickly through the pilot, simply tee off the input and run a line to the chamber with a check valve in it.

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:00 pm

I’m thinking I might try for a piston valve, a small one, to save on space. It couldn’t hurt, right?
As for figuring out pilot and chamber volumes, I’ll do a little of both, some basic math, and lots of trial and hopefully not too much error…

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:07 pm

yeah my gun doesn't fill very fast but what i did to increase flow is cut an angled flap to create a swinging check valve flap, I believe a qev is the best

and for a nice sleeve gun you need a valve with slow.. back flow or what ever, or a check valve fill will be necessary for a rapid fire gun

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:07 pm

one thing that would help is to somehow fit a check valve to your equalistation hole - this will help you fill the chamber quickly without compromising piston performance.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:15 pm

the best thing would be to tap a hole for a check valve in the top and connect a tube to the chamber and check valve, but that cost money :D

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: us sniper » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:36 pm

If you wan to make the tommy gun then I suggest using square tubing. Then you could have a square piston valve. there would be half of a 45 degree tube at the back which would go into your stock where you could attach co2 or a compressor hose. Then you could an actual magazine for your casings in the front. That would look just like a tommy gun but I still don't see how you could get the bolt and the piston back without having some of the gas push it back or a motor. The barrel could also be a half inch barrel. The casing could be 3/8 copper couplers. 40 caliber paintballs fit well the couplers without much wadding. 40 caliber paintballs can be found on Rap4.com or ebay.com. I'll try to draw you a picutre to explain what I mean.

us sniper
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Us sniper, although a Thompson would be nice, it’s not what I’m gunning for, I merely mentioned it to stress the “out of WWII” point.
I’m look more towards the automatic rifle/LMG/SAW look.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:15 pm

really which country would this gun's design originate from US, Germany..., if you choose Britain you could get the ghetto award :D

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: us sniper » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:39 pm

I am not sure if you mentioned this, but where is your air source. Is it on the gun, a compressor, or in a back pack? Also, is there any valve that you are trying to use on the guns or any one that makes it the most life like?

Here is a good site for paintball guns. This may or may not be what you are looking for but most of the guns could be modified to use casings by making a longer bolt. http://www.ultratwistedpaintball.biz/pa ... TIONS.html

I am also building a semi automatic gun like you. Mine is going to look like a m16 instead. I am using the 3/8 couplers with the 40 caliber paintballs. it allows you to fit more rounds in the magazine.

us sniper
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:18 pm

Iknowmy3tables, for this gun I’m shooting for U.S.
I’ve got an idea for a belt-fed MG42 and I’ve always thought a Lewis gun would be cool.
But a STEN would be fun, not to mention simple!

For Us sniper’s question, for know air compressor, latter on I’ll put a bulk fill on it, provided it works.
And I’m only using paintballs because they’re safe, people get will most likely get scared if I were to shoot .735dia lead balls, or 12ga rifled slugs.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:32 pm

And I’m only using paintballs because they’re safe, people get will most likely get scared if I were to shoot .735dia lead balls, or 12ga rifled slugs.

boring, are your parents the one's you might scare,

belt fed is quite a challenge so mg42 is a bit hard, lewis sound nice

and put me on as a 3rd for a person planning an automatic cartridge gun, I'll be trying belt fed ejecting 1.5" shells in the not so near future

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Scare my parents? Heck no! they know I’m not dumb enough to do something dumb, I’d use a sufficient back-stop.
No, a ton of houses popped up behind our house and I don’t want one of our new neighbors calling the cops saying, “he’s got a machine gun!!!”…

Funny you should mention a 1.50cal belt feed, I’ve bean working on a 1.50cal hoper fed auto-cannon for a paintball tank armament.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:08 pm

wonderful may be we could help each other, i understand the whole thing about getting reported for something legal, I was thinking that once i got my canon built maybe i could attract some attention and get invited to sienrio games

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion