Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fish Killer Project

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Fish Killer Project

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:03 pm

Ever feel the need to do something extremely stupid or pointless? Well I do- all the time.

My most recent idea was to create a gun that shoots .40 caliber blowgun darts to spear baitfish. Now I can catch dozens at a time in my cast net, but I thought actually shooting them would be more fun. Like bowfishing without a bow. To further my point on how stupid of an idea this is, consider that a dead baitfish is a useless baitfish. So anyway, I got to work designing the weapon. The major problem I ran into was loading the blowgun barrel and coming up with a way to attach it to a 3/4" QEV.

I decided to attemt a breech loader- something I've never done before. I took the concept of my Omega Project's breechloader (which I still haven't started) and sized it down and tweaked it a bit for this gun.

I won't show any pictures until it's done because I feel it's the highlight of my gun and I want to get it just right. But a hint at how it works: quick disconnects

I'm waiting on lots of parts but I've finished the back end. I'm not sure though if it will pilot fast enough so I took some pictures to show you guys.

Last edited by PVC Arsenal 17 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: pyromaniac » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:56 pm

not to be mean but... Discussion of shooting anything at any person and/or animal is prohibited, and may result in a permanent banning of your account.

but i would love to see the gun. It will turn out great

:pottytrain3:
pyromaniac
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Seriously? It's fishing though. Like bowfishing, except I can't afford a bow.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: pyromaniac » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:39 pm

I just took that from the rules so um ya seriously. ive gone bow hunting for fish it was fun.

:pottytrain3:
pyromaniac
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:48 pm

Ultimately it's PCguy's call, but I think this thread is OK. We're not talking about torturing small animals or anything, just a slightly unique method of fishing.

How big is the chamber on that gun? What's the pilot volume? I've seen blowguns pilot 3/4" QEVs just fine before, as long as the pilot volume is reasonably small.

Should be a cool project, can't wait to see finished pics. Good luck with the breechloader.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:55 pm

That should pilot that quick exhaust valve EASILY. Quick exhaust valves are very sensitive to changes in pilot pressure, and the piston acts like a check valve anyways.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:55 pm

I have a feeling you'll be shooting random other stuff wen you get frustrated trying to shoot fish. Shooting or spearing fish is extremely hard to do with anything short of a shotgun which blasts a couple hundred pellets at once. Once you get down exactly how much the refraction throws you off, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to get the fish.
Can't wait to see the gun finished.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:23 pm

any idea why they invented spearguns???
A bb or marble will be stopped dead by a few feet of water...

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: Acdcmonkey1991 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:34 pm

I think one of your main problems is going to be power, fom what i can see, your chamber "doesnt exsist", i mean you have a chamber but its just the space between the qev and the pilot. but correct me if im wrong

Acdcmonkey1991
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Acdcmonkey1991 wrote:I think one of your main problems is going to be power, fom what i can see, your chamber "doesnt exsist", i mean you have a chamber but its just the space between the qev and the pilot. but correct me if im wrong

Thats because he hasn't made one yet.

Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: A-98 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:36 pm

he hasnt finished it yet :wink:

There are rules, and then there are hundred dollar bills.
A-98
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: FeLeX » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Your wrong, he just doesnt have a chamber for it yet.
It looks REALLY nice man, keep up the work.
PS: Does any one know a link to a page that can show me how the dang spearguns work?

FeLeX
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Acdcmonkey1991 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Oh, ok ... ya man thats going to be awesome when its finished. And it sounds pretty good for umm... "recreational fishing" :wink: :wink:

Acdcmonkey1991
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:07 pm

If i'm seeing things correctly, your fill connect is inbetween the QEV and your pilot. If you don't add a ball valve to close the air supply off, it won't vent at all. If you just disconnect the air supply, that will vent the pilot causeing a missfire.

I think i know how your going to use the quick connects as a breech loading set up, simple realy. Take the connector apart, load a dart, clip the quick connector back together, waaa laaa.

Tell me if i'm correct or not.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:22 pm

jrrdw wrote:If i'm seeing things correctly, your fill connect is inbetween the QEV and your pilot. If you don't add a ball valve to close the air supply off, it won't vent at all. If you just disconnect the air supply, that will vent the pilot causeing a missfire.

Tell me if i'm correct or not.

Que? It's a schrader with a one-way core. Disconnecting the air supply will do nothing.

And yes, there is no chamber. I'm waiting on parts but it will be a 1 1/4" x 2' chamber reduced at the elbow to connect to the 3/4" QEV.

For the breech, I found that .40 cal blowgun barrels fit very well into the male end of a garden hose quick-disconnect. They also fit well in 1/2" sch80. sch80 fits well into the male threaded part of the fitting. 3/4" couplings fit well over the 3/4" male threads.

So, epoxy the coupling over the male threads. Glue in a reducer with a short length of 1/2" sch80 and jam that into the threaded end. And finally glue the blowgun through the sch80 and the male stub.

Pictures will explain it a lot better. But basically, the blowgun will be supported by a saddle tees coming from the chamber. I pull back the disconnect, take out the blowgun contraption, load up, replace it, fire away!

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion