Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Piston performance

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Piston performance

Unread postAuthor: Panzerfaust » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:55 am

Just finished my second piston gun, (first was a small diameter in-line). The gun has a five foot 2" chamber and a 1 1/2" five foot long barrel. The piston is in a tee and has a 1.25" endcap as a piston. It is ported 2 inch in, 1 inch out, 1 inch pilot/fill. I am using a modded 1" sprinkler to fire. The gun is EXTREMELY loud forcing me to wear hearing protection. What i cant understand is that i only gained about 40-60 yards compared to a mich shorter gun with modded sprinkler. Is my chamber to small to utilize my valve? the valve seems to work great, very loud opens fast dumbs chamber instantly. Unfortunately i was shooting water out of the gun, and decided to fire it without planting in the ground. Recoil was 5-6 times that of a 30-06 rifle, blew the gun out of my hands, and when it landed the fill/fire assembly snapped of. Thankfully it was removable anyways so i can replace it. Whats up with this 200-yard performance? seems low for the length of the gun and its valve.

Panzerfaust
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:02 pm

i could have told you that you would be on the ground, i know from experiance. :lol:

my guess is ( this is only a guess) that to much air is getting around the piston and going out the exhaust, but thats just my guess.

ps- what do you have as a bumper? i need one for a valve of simular size and cant find anything.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:04 pm

what sort of ammunition are you using? what calibre is the shorter gun?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Panzerfaust » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Shorter gun is diameter barrel/chamber, 2" and 1.5" I am using a piece of rubber hose as a bumper, seems to work well. my first bumper was pipe insulation foam tube, but that got sucked into the pilot. Originally, i had the piston wrapped in duct tape to an extremely tight fit. Probably too-tight as it bound inside my chamber, and i was only able to get it out with extreme force and lots of dw-40. Now i have the piston wrapped in 2 layers of slippery tape. It fits fairly well, if i put it in some pipe i can blow it back and forth by mouth pressure. however, there is a very large amount of air that blows out of the firing valve when it fires. I could try wrapping it with some more tape. It could be however that i have about 4" of dead space behind the piston (4" of 2" pipe"). this was necesary however, to make the piston servicable. I dont think that dead space should be to much of a factor with my pilot being a sprinkler. i am using potatoes, they fit very tightly.

Hey, can anyone tell me how to find flow coefficient so i can have the ggdt crunch this? i know or can guestimate the other variables.

Panzerfaust
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:22 pm

It could be however that i have about 4" of dead space behind the piston (4" of 2" pipe"). this was necesary however, to make the piston servicable. I dont think that dead space should be to much of a factor with my pilot being a sprinkler

That's a lot of waste, 4" is far too much - you only need the piston to move back 0.375" to get maximum flow for a 1.5" barrel.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Panzerfaust » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:28 pm

The barrel is 1.5", but the porting out of the valve is 1". The dead space was neccesary to fit in male/femal adapters so that i could service the piston.

Panzerfaust
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:41 pm

Is your barrel all gooed up with potato juice? I've read wear that robs preformance. Sounds like a small chamber also.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Panzerfaust » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Barrel is very very new (maybe fired 20-30 times). i am really thinking i should just go for a tighter fitting piston and a bigger chamber. I have a fair amount of nsf-pw 4" pipe (You have no idea what i went through to get it), but my current chamber almost entirely empties my 5.5 gal compressor. with a bigger chamber i would need multible compressor runs to fill it, and i really dont want to have to wait through multible compressor cycles to get one shot. I could try switching to a hot glue Piston, i know they work well but i just hate the idea of my most important part being a wad of glue. Does anyone know how to calculate flow coefficient so i could put my gun into the ggdt? its air out port is 1".

Panzerfaust
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion