Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 82 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

QEV's and PVC

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
QEV's and PVC

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:23 pm

For my entertainment this summer I am thinking I might build a qev marble gun that I won't spend a whole afternoon pumping up like my other one.
I can't afford metal pipe, nor do I have the tools or experience to solder it. So I was wondering if it would be ok on the pvc threads if I connected them to a qev or a safety valve. I know that unscrewing it is bad for the threads so I was just wondering about leaving it there.

Thanks,
Salty

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:39 pm

It'll be fine. Where'd you hear that unscrewing was bad for the threads?

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:51 pm

they are all npt threads so it would be fine.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:57 pm

noname wrote:It'll be fine. Where'd you hear that unscrewing was bad for the threads?

Someone was saying how the metal chews up the pvc threads, I can't remember who or where it was.

Well, since it won't explode in my face, I'd say production chances are going up :D

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:08 pm

It was probably in the launcher failure log, where my piston valve failed because the metal bushing "bit" too tightly into the PVC female adapter.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Darnit I just ran into a problem. When I looked around McMaster for qev's I got these funky-looking solenoids, and when I looked at home depot's web site I got trash can storage.

Does anyone know a) where on McMaster (or preferably home depot or other local store) I can get a qev and B) what a good size is for a 3'' chamber and a 1/2'' barrel.

Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: chartreusesnot » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:25 pm

On the mcmaster QEV section, go to the top of the page, and you will see 3 or 4 different pages. Click the last one. This will bring you to the right qev section. the largest qev they have is 3/4 inch.

edit: the page is 941

_Fnord wrote:OMG you have broked teh universe!!!11exclamationpoint!1!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnKN7LXqizw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVm_3eEPEgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLNjMSGxp00
^^^^CLICK^^^^
chartreusesnot
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: noname » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:32 pm

A 3/4" QEV is $20 on McMaster, part number 6646K23.
Be sure to bookmark that page. I've been there about 10 times and it still took me 10 minutes to find it.
You can also search Exhaust Control Valves, and then scroll down a ways.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:34 pm

even if its a 1/2'' barrel, still get a 3/4'' QEV, ou will get slightly better proformance.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:41 pm

Ok, I was searching around while I was designing it to find out where it was filled from etc. and I realized that it was piloted and filled through the same hole. I don't have an air compressor so I came up with this idea; attach a tee to the qev and have a schraeder and a ball valve on the tee.

EDIT: Another thing I was wondering was what size of pipe or coupling do I need for a ghetto breech on 1/2'' pipe? (I'm planning to O-ring it)

Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 pm

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Acdcmonkey1991 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:22 pm

I actually used a brass bushing on one of my cannons, threaded into a plastic 1/2 in. elbow. i was looking at it a week after I had finished it, and the plastic elbow had cracked! Long story short, the bushing "killed the plastic threads on my gun.

VH was awesome!!
Current projects:
C02 Jetpack (CIIJ)
Waterjet vehicle
.177 cal. piston rifle
Acdcmonkey1991
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Whoah...it's been under my nose this whole time. I hope you don't mind if I copy your valve setup.

I was also planning to make a barrel support tee thing, but I'm gonna keep my ghetto breech idea.

Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Flying_Salt wrote:EDIT: Another thing I was wondering was what size of pipe or coupling do I need for a ghetto breech on 1/2'' pipe? (I'm planning to O-ring it)

1/2" coupling... Come on Salty, use that thing on your shoulders :lol: :D [/i]

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:48 pm

Flying_Salt wrote:Whoah...it's been under my nose this whole time. I hope you don't mind if I copy your valve setup.

I was also planning to make a barrel support tee thing, but I'm gonna keep my ghetto breech idea.

Go for it. My breech idea really only works with .40 blowgun barrels because the quick disconnects fit right over them. Whatever you come up with, good luck!

rmich732 wrote:
Flying_Salt wrote:EDIT: Another thing I was wondering was what size of pipe or coupling do I need for a ghetto breech on 1/2'' pipe? (I'm planning to O-ring it)

1/2" coupling... Come on Salty, use that thing on your shoulders :lol: :D [/i]

hehe... it happens.

Check out this page: http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p ... VC-Couples

Somewhere on there are extra long couplings. They might work better if you decide to make a longer breech.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion