Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

piston pistol idea

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
piston pistol idea

Unread postAuthor: us sniper » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:06 pm

i was thinking of something like this for a pistol using a piston and regulated co2.
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s240 ... pistol.jpg
The piston is also attached to a bolt which makes the gun a semi auto. I would either be shooting airsoft bbs or metal 4.5 mm bbs. Does anyone think that this idea is plausible or does it need some more work.

us sniper
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:10 pm

Would there be a regulator between the CO2 tank and the pressure chamber? other than that i believe that would work.

rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: 666lucky693 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:12 pm

seems like a pretty good plan i like it

666lucky693
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:15 am

*Thread Moved*

@us sniper,

Did you not see the "NOT FOR HELP-ME POSTS" ?
The How-To section is for users to post GUIDES for other users to use.
How-to database.
Get the idea?

Sorry to be a jerk, but you're the third guy in two days to post something in here that didn't belong here. It just makes more $hit for the mods to do. We have enough to do keeping the newbies at bay.
You have over a hundred posts, you should have the hang of this by now.

If you posted it in the wrong section by complete accident, then my apologies, didn't mean to b!tch you out. If that happens again, just PM me or MrCrowley or any other mod and ask us to move it.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 am

EDIT

Last edited by Jolly Roger on Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:12 am

you need the reg or it will be one shot per CO2 canister. you will not have semi auto without a reg or secondary chamber

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:44 am

Hold on, just doing up some paint images of what I was thinking in regards to solving this problem.

Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:50 am

Alright now have a look at these pics first. They incoporate O-rings into the design to stop the air source from entering the chamber when fired until the piston is sealed again. It shoud be self explanatory. I have thought about making a pistol like this for simulation paintball, where it is as real to combat as possible without the lethal consequences. Because that wouldn't be fun. Much like simunition training. Makes it more worhtwhile not to get hit when the ammo really hurts.. =) Anyway here they are. The second pic is the split second after the pressure has been released from the chamber though the piston has not re-sealed. A tiny hole must be put into the piston to allow for leakage into the main chamber as well.

Attachments
O-ring idea2.JPG
Between firing and re-sealing of the piston.
O-ring idea2.JPG (34.49 KiB) Viewed 423 times
O-ring idea.JPG
Charged
O-ring idea.JPG (24.84 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Last edited by Jolly Roger on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:34 am

looks like a pretty good idea to me. You would definitley need a regulator though. Otherwise, good luck!

really good quote/phrase here
spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:04 am

Well depends what you use I guess. Make them as tough as the reg parts, no problem. I'm sure you could make an 800 psi capable gun (CO2), and being so small, you wouldn't have to worry about weight so you could go all out on the diameter of the steel or whatever you use to accomodate for this. Otherwise with a reg the gun will be pretty bulky. But goodluck anyway. Police C02 handguns are lethal and I'm sure you could find alot of info on stock parts etc. if you looked them up. Make one like them and you'll have one hell of a paintball gun.. :P

Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: keep_it_real » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:49 am

Jolly Roger: I don't know if your diagram is to scale or not but the exhaust valve needs a substantial amount more flow than the CO2 filling source. I think the valve shown in your diagram will open too slowly and waste too much air. I think a better option would be to fill it through the pilot valve which would be three way (pun not intended).

keep_it_real
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: 666lucky693 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:52 am

yea it looks like that design would waste alot of air

666lucky693
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:09 pm

No it is not to scale. Even so, it won't need a substantialy higher rate of flow than the inlet. It only needs to be equal to or larger than the inlet to be efficient. Even if the valve (whatever it may be, the solenoid pictured is only symbolic) is much smaller than the inlet, all that is needed is the tiniest pressure drop and the piston will fly back. Think about it, how much air can it waste in the amount of time it takes for the piston to move 1 inch (well not even an inch) under that pressure. Its instantaneous... I really don't see the reason behind why you would believe that. Correct me if I am mistaken anywhere. And your idea of a three way pilot, how does this work?.
Cheers
Murray

Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: keep_it_real » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:53 pm

The co2 will just keep filling the pilot area when the exhaust is open if the pilot valve and the co2 filler are the same size, so theoretically, the pressure will stay the same. If the exhaust is slightly bigger, the co2 will keep filling the pilot area until the relative vacuum is enough to overcome the other relative vacuum that is holding the piston onto the barrel. I don't know how long this will take but it could waste a lot of co2.

The three way valve works like this. To fill the chamber, air goes through the three way valve and enters the chamber around the piston or through a check valve. When you trigger the three way valve, the air behind the piston is vented to the atmosphere.

keep_it_real
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: us sniper » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks for all the advice and comments, and sorry for posting this thread in the wrong area. For the pistol I will be using regulated co2. does anyone have any idea what pistol would work for my design to make as realistic as possible. I was thinking a desert eagle look. Also do you think that I should make it a blow back style gun because all you have to do is attach the slide to the piston, but it would look funny because it would take time for the air to push the piston and slide forward. Also does anyone know how i could turn this design into a revolver?

us sniper
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion