Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 78 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], BORIS_ELCIN, Google [Bot], mrfoo, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

A small valve for a change

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
A small valve for a change

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:30 am

Hi,

There's lots of talk of big valves .. but does anyone know about a smaller alternative to sprinkler valves? It's for the fuel in my jet hybrid gun project - butane and air will mix [u]downstream[/] of the valves.

So, does anyone have an idea for a valve that can be triggered in the same way as a modified sprinkler (and in parallel with it), has moderate dead space and with a flow capacity of about 1/10 th of an 1" sprinkler valve? (of course the exact flow ratio of the two will be controlled by a ball valve in series with either the air or the fuel valve).

The only idea I have come up with is to use liquid fuel instead, and then use an automotive injector valve with some overpressure on the supply side .. but I'm not sure how good an idea that really is. And it's clumsy with one pneumatic and one electric valve.

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:46 am

I guess you could use a ball valve couldnt you? Or you could look at all the piston valve options. But I really dont know hybrids too well, so all this info could be wrong! :wink: Hope you find this helpful!

really good quote/phrase here
spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:09 am

Does it need to be electric so that the valves are triggered simultaneously? I don't know if you can get the same PVC fittings and everything where you live, but you could make your own inline sprinkler valve with as much (or as little) flow as you want.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:59 pm

1/8" QEV?

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:04 pm

I think that a 1/8" QEV would have about 1/50<sup>th</sup> of the flow of a 1" sprinkler. (I'm not sure weather the porting on them is 1/8" or closer to the ID of 1/8" pipe.)

Yeah, I could check, but I'm lazy.

(the amount of flow goes roughly as the diameter squared)

A 1/4" QEV, however, would be approximately correct. (regardless of the seat size nomenclature)

Alternatively, one could construct some piston valves in tees with 1/4" pipe as the exit port.

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:08 pm

I thought that QEV's were advantages over sprinkler valves because a smaller QEV had a higher flow rate than a larger sprinkler valve.

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion