Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 89 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 84 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Nitrogen Cartridges

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Nitrogen Cartridges

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 pm

Just curious, does anyone know of any 12g nitrogen charges similar to the co2 bulbs sold on the net anywhere. I know they make small ones for homebrew to "flush" it without carbonating it but I don't think they are 12g size. I am lead to believe they dont make them that size in paintball because you would need a reg for it as well and there has been no need for them that small anyway. I plan on using a straight source of no2 (yes no reg, and no I'm not crazy) in a "very well enclosed" setup for the carrying out of some different small scale experiments. And please if you don't have any helpful info, I would appreciate it if you restrained yourself from posting on this thread. So if anyone has some info, even if it is an idea on improvising one, it would be very helpful.
Cheers,
Murray

Last edited by Jolly Roger on Mon May 04, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:43 pm

I know that you can get mini NO2 cartridges (but not Nitrogen - you seem to be mixing the terms) - but I'm not sure exactly where, at least for a US buyer.

I am lead to ask: Why would you want to though? The performance will be no better than with CO2 (in fact, it will likely be worse because of the higher molar mass).
NOT criticising, just making sure you know that.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:20 pm

joannaardway wrote:I am lead to ask: Why would you want to though? The performance will be no better than with CO2 (in fact, it will likely be worse because of the higher molar mass).

I thought air was almost 80% nitrogen anyway...

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:54 am

Yeah I know of nitrous oxide used for whipping cream and so on thats NO2. But nitrogen is different (N2), as in nitrogen used in paintball as a high pressure gas (up to 4500psi) although nearly all are regualted down to about 800. I am trying to find the smallest nitrogen tank, cartridge I can.

Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:57 am

I've never heard of them.

But, as Jack pointed out, air is around 70-80% N2 anyways, what's going to be the difference if you use pure N2. (Aside from the cost of course)

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: wilonpill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:45 pm

The smallest you are going to find is a 45ci tank.

wilonpill
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:06 pm

Modderxtrordanare wrote:But, as Jack pointed out, air is around 70-80% N2 anyways, what's going to be the difference if you use pure N2. (Aside from the cost of course)

i dont know if i totally understand your question, but i think CO2 paintball tanks are usually at 800 psi, and he is talking bout tanks that are at 4500psi.
so im guessing he is looking for longevity in his air supply.

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: TechnoMancer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:04 pm

nitrogen can be compressed much further than CO2 so you can get higher pressures with it!! thats what he wants huh?

TechnoMancer
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:18 pm

well im not sure how much 45ci is but if your an aussie maybe look up supagas they have backpack size cylinders for purchase or rent

Last edited by chaos on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:16 am

Jolly Roger wrote:Yeah I know of nitrous oxide used for whipping cream and so on thats NO2. But nitrogen is different (N2), as in nitrogen used in paintball as a high pressure gas (up to 4500psi) although nearly all are regualted down to about 800. I am trying to find the smallest nitrogen tank, cartridge I can.

Well, that's a different question. Given this statement:
I plan on using a straight source of no2 (yes no reg, and no I'm not crazy)

You'll have to forgive my confusion and subsequent ramble about nitrous oxide.

They don't do mini Nitrogen bulbs in that size, because N<sub>2</sub>O (my bad - I mixed up N<sub>2</sub>O, and NO<sub>2</sub>. N<sub>2</sub>O is nitrous oxide/laughing gas, NO<sub>2</sub> is nitrogen dioxide - a deep brown gas and rather poisonous as well) and CO<sub>2</sub>, liquify above certain pressures, which allows storage in mini bulbs.
Nitrogen won't do that - because it has to be stored in an HPA type tank, at about 3000 psi or so, the bulb design is unsuitable for the circumstances.

Thus, there are no Nitrogen bulbs in the mini bulb sizes (8g, 12g or 16g - and probably not 24g or 32g either). You could always use a small nitrogen paintball tank instead.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion