Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1" Inline Sprinkler Valve Modifying

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
1" Inline Sprinkler Valve Modifying

Unread postAuthor: bigotry2 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Hello folks, this is my first post here. I've built many combustion cannons and decided to go after my first pneumatic just for the challenge, and mostly for a change. 8)

So anyways, I got a 1" inline sprinkler valve from the hardware store (coincidentally the exact same one from the tutorial in this thread http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=305) but I was wondering if it was possible to do what I'm about to think of doing.

After removing the solenoid, it says to fill the hole in with epoxy putti, this is because your new release valve is the newly attached blowgun. What I was thinking of doing was attaching the blowgun (with some bits and pieces, it couldn't be that difficult) at the same hold where the solenoid used to be screwed in, theres some female threads there already too which would make it somewhat simpler.

If I were to do this, would it still function the same as if I were to do the drilling in the top plate and attatch the blowgun from there?

And a few tiny little questions.
- Does a 3" to 1" PVC reducer exist?
- Any know how on how to attach the 1" sprinkler valve to a 1" PVC pipe? I THOUGHT the measurements were universal, but unfortunately the fittings of PVC for 1" and the sprinkler valve for 1" are WAY off and I didn't have any knowledge of cross-breeding different types of plumbing. :D

bigotry2
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:54 pm

yes, a 3 inch to 1 inch reducer exists, just improvise.......... and use flush bushings.

and, sure, doing what you said will work fine, but it will restrict flow slightly. go ahead and try it, i have that same valve and the hole is actually quite large. large enough that my epoxy oozed into my diaphram my first try and it kinda....... ummm.... didnt work anymore.

are you sure its 1 inch pipe, and a 1 inch sprinkler? bring your sprinkler into the store (or open one up at the store) and test EVERY SINGLE male threaded thing that most likely will fit. i know that more often than not people put pipe fittings in the wrong place. one time i bought 1 inch pipe instead of 1.25 inch pipe. THAT made me MADDDDD. lol

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:14 pm

No, what you are thinking of will not work, because the soleniod seals off a pilot hole to put the air back into the flow on the barrel side of the valve, and putting a blowgun in the solenoids place will not work unless you put epoxy into the small hole that leads to the barrel port. Do you guys get what I am saying?

And yes 3" to 1" fittings exist like VH_man said look for a local Ewings irrigation or they are mcmaster part# 4880K517

rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:34 pm

oops. yeah, that little freamking hole. the one where when you use a solenoid it makes your projectile jump foward 5 inches before the real power comes on.......... bleh

yeah, someone actually did what you were describing once. do it, its better than hacking the heck out of a sprinkler. might even preform better, becuase the diaphram will come up higher.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bigotry2 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 pm

So I would attatch the blowgun directly to where the Solenoid would have gone, but I'd still have to plug the little hole with epoxy putti, correct?

bigotry2
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:09 pm

yes. you must plug up the hole that is vertical. its the place where the rubber part on the solenoid sits.

i actually just ofund out that the solenoid port is actually a normal pipe thread size!!!! YAY!!!

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:20 pm

It will work but not as well as a regular mod.
Its a small hole to vent through.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: bigotry2 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 pm

But if it's only required to release the pressure above the diaphragm, and it doesn't have any huge bearing on the actual pressurized airflow to shoot the potatoe, how much of a difference would it make between a 5/8" polyethelene (the hose connecting to my blow gun is the smallest chokepoint in the whole system) and something just slightly smaller before it.

Or am I down-sizing how important it is to have the diaphragm release as fast as possible?

bigotry2
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion