Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 1 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Need some serious help...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Need some serious help...

Unread postAuthor: wilonpill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:33 pm

Ok, before anyone gets pissed, I searched and just got confused.

My dad accidentally destroyed my last cannon and I want to build a new one, and he agreed to pay for it.

My question is, what kinda costs am I looking at if i wanna build a cannon using my paintball air tank, and what kinda parts should i be looking at?I'm not sure on the size of the threads, but the tank is 70ci/4500PSI and its regulator puts out around 750PSI. I understand I will need another regulator that can bring the pressure down to about 100PSI, and i will need a way to connect said regulator to a cannon.

I plan on using some sort of ball valve, because electric sprinkler valves are too complicated and from what I've seen expensive. I figure i will shoot small potatoes and nerf rockets, so a 2" barrels should fit the bill.

Thanks for the help guys.

wilonpill
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:39 pm

sprinkler valves are only 20 dollars and the tutorial on how to mod them is very easy to follow

i think that u will have to buy the other regulator first to see what kind of output it has and then u can see what u need for your cannon

but im not the god of pneumatic cannons so dont take my word as gosple

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: wilonpill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:56 pm

sandman wrote:sprinkler valves are only 20 dollars and the tutorial on how to mod them is very easy to follow

i think that u will have to buy the other regulator first to see what kind of output it has and then u can see what u need for your cannon

but im not the god of pneumatic cannons so dont take my word as gosple

I think I'll see if i can find a used regulator with an adjustable output. That should run me around 25$ if i can get a good deal.

wilonpill
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: mike1010 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:43 am

ill mod a sprinkler valve for free just pay shipping and send me the parts its supper easy

mike1010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: wilonpill » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:13 am

mike1010 wrote:ill mod a sprinkler valve for free just pay shipping and send me the parts its supper easy

Well, if i was to get into this type of thing i would have to eventually learn how to do it myself. Thanks for the offer, but i think I'll be able to manage modding without too much damage to the valve...or myself.

BTW, do you guys think using 12grams would be simpler and yield the same results?

wilonpill
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: turbohacker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:06 am

You will go through alot of 12grams. You HPA setup is the best bet. Geta reg from here... http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/ecom/product_info.php/products_id/493?osCsid=83436053e4f40030487220d2bd7f7344

And here is a remote line so you can mount your HPA tank anywhere...http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1145

And, to skip a step, here is both of them together...http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/ecom/product_info.php/products_id/499?osCsid=83436053e4f40030487220d2bd7f7344

I would defanately reccomend a modded sprinkler valve, they are much faster and easyer to operate than a ball valve (they run about $20 with the blow gun too) http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/modding-a-sprinkler-valve-t305.html

<-- This is not a cat avatar

If it walks like a dog, sratches like a dog, and barks like a dog, than its probobly a...-TURTLE, it's a TURTLE!!! Cant you see?!!!

frankrede wrote:Great googlay mooglay!
Thats a beast!
turbohacker
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:25 pm

lol, turbohakcer i just saw that we have the same post count :)

and i would go with the HPA thing like turbohacker said

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 pm

What was your last cannon? Have you forgotten how you made it?

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: wilonpill » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Hawkeye wrote:What was your last cannon? Have you forgotten how you made it?

My last cannon used a compressor and a ball valve.

turbohacker wrote:You will go through alot of 12grams. You HPA setup is the best bet. Geta reg from here... http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/ecom/product_info.php/products_id/493?osCsid=83436053e4f40030487220d2bd7f7344

And here is a remote line so you can mount your HPA tank anywhere...http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1145

And, to skip a step, here is both of them together...http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/ecom/product_info.php/products_id/499?osCsid=83436053e4f40030487220d2bd7f7344

I would defanately reccomend a modded sprinkler valve, they are much faster and easyer to operate than a ball valve (they run about $20 with the blow gun too) http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/modding-a-sprinkler-valve-t305.html

Though Palmer always makes and sells quality products, they are a bit expensive. IMO, too expensive for just a cannon i wanna build cheaply.

Do any of you guys know where else i could grab an ok regulator?

All the paintball ones are like 60$, and that is too much. It is starting to look like this project will use 12grams.

wilonpill
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: WOW!! » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:33 pm

Why not build a phenumatic and then use a shrader valve, and then get a 12g adapter for filling tires? That would work for a smaller cannon.

(\__/)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

My girl friend says I dont listen, at least thats what I think she said...
WOW!!
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:59 pm

The Evil Detonator is supposed to be pretty good. And it's cheap, like under $30 if you shop around. There is one downside, you have to break it in with like a case or two of paint before you get the consistancy and accuracy. After that though, I heard of it shooting 300fps on a paintball gun over and over.

I'm weird, I know it, you don't need to tell me.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: wilonpill » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:02 pm

WOW!! wrote:Why not build a phenumatic and then use a shrader valve, and then get a 12g adapter for filling tires? That would work for a smaller cannon.

I like this idea. Where can i get one of these?

wilonpill
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:29 pm

wow........ that evil detonator regulator might be in my hands soon. i like the prospect of that. why spend 100 bucks when you can spend 30? just gotta watch out, its lowest output pressure is 100 PSI........... nothing a second reg cant handle.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: wilonpill » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:50 pm

VH_man wrote:wow........ that evil detonator regulator might be in my hands soon. i like the prospect of that. why spend 100 bucks when you can spend 30? just gotta watch out, its lowest output pressure is 100 PSI........... nothing a second reg cant handle.

PVC can easily handle 100PSI. I don't see the problem.

wilonpill
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:13 pm

Run it un regulated. Just have a small metal chamber and a metal ball valve ror the main valve. It's way cheaper then using a regulator.

Summer Projects:
CO2 tank hybrid: Gotta fix the meter :(
Cane gun: Needs a pilot/fill setup
1.5" piston valve gun: Almost done
iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion