Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Barrel Sealing Piston Valve: Parts List?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Barrel Sealing Piston Valve: Parts List?

Unread postAuthor: Will_U_Phistme » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:37 am

Hi,

I need a list of parts to build a barrel sealing piston valve please.

It will have a 2.5 inch T junction, 2 inch barrel port, 1 inch exhaust port. The piston will be made from some product at McMasters but will require wood lathing.

Re: trigger. Cheap blow gun, connected by pressure hose to some kind of dump valve in the exhaust. Re filling: a ball valve in front of a snap fit filling point.

I will be in the USA for an afternoon next week and want to visit McMasters to buy the parts. I am from NZ. Parts cost twice as much and you cant get most of the interesting ones.

Can someone please send me the links re on this site where all this hardware is listed.

Regards to you all,

Will.

Will_U_Phistme
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: hi » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:51 am

2.5'' tee.

2'' to 2.5'' bushing

2.5''- 3/4''bushing

2'' pipe. 2.5'' pipe

more or less what you need.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Will_U_Phistme » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Thank you for your reply.

What do I use for the piston please? Do I use rings?

What kind of valve do it fix to the exhaust port please?

Something like the Gort Mauler would be the ultimate goal.

Will_U_Phistme
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:15 pm

For the piston you could use either type II pvc rod or melt hotglue into a piston. You only need orings if the area around the piston has a greater area than the exhaust valve.

For the exhaust valve you can use anything from a ballvalve to a blowgun to a qev piloted by a blowgun. The exhaust valve is really up to you.

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: hi » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:15 pm

the mauler is fairly difficult to replicate without a lathe, even then it is difficult to make.

you dont need O rings, but if you can put two on that would be good.

for exhaust you can use anything you want. ball valve, sprinkler valve, QEV. doesnt really matter, but i recommend that you dont use a blow gun because this is a fairly heavy valve.

when you are building your valve, keep this in mind. all you are doing is building a coaxial cannon into a tee.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:38 pm

Talk to MrCrowley, he is from New Zealand too. You can't order internationally from Mcmaster. I bet you can find some other distributor of pvc that will ship to NZ. I think it is possible to make a piston out of like a bolt with washers with o-rings betweeen them. take a look at this piston: http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/pandasweatervest/?action=view&current=valvelayout3copy.png this photo is A-98's

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: noname » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:46 pm

You didn't read his post. He said he's going to order from the US.

You can make pistons from anything that fits well in the pipe you're using.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion