Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Piston design... would this work?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Piston design... would this work?

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:15 pm

This is my diagram of a piston for a barrel sealing valve. There is a long bolt on which a series of washers and nuts are assembled on. there are 3 washers on the pilot side, the two outside ones are 2" and the inside one is about a 1.8". This creates a groove for the O-ring to sit on which is shown as 2 black dots in the groove on the diagram. The hole through the 3 washers is to make an equilization hole to fill the chamber. The thin red line is a 1/16" thick rubber diaphram check valve to make piloting the valve much quicker. The sealing face is made of rubber at the front of the piston with a washer behind for stability. This piston will be riding inside a 1-1.5" long peice of 2" sch 40 pvc pipe inside a Tee fitting. Has anyone ever used this design for a piston before, are there any flaws to my design?

Attachments
2inchpiston.JPG
2inchpiston.JPG (9.89 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:54 pm

If it were me, I would run a lenth of hose from the pilot to the chamber and put a checkvalve on that instead of using that equalization hole you have on your piston.

Other than that, it is wonderful. :)

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Yes, it will work, but make sure to have a nice squishy bumper behind it, otherwise it will poke holes in your pipe.

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion